Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best type of box for a 1991 CV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the best type of box for a 1991 CV?

I have a 1991 Crown Vic and am in the market for new audio, and was wonderin what would suit the vic the best, and I am looking for SPL, not sound quality.....
    sigpic1991 Crown Vic 351w 5.8L

I think a bandpass or ported box tuned to one frequency is supposed to give the most SPL for that frequency
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

i ran a pair of 12s in a sealed box in the trunk connected to a 300w max bridged amp. people swore i was pushing 1000w or more. i had to watch how long i ran them though or amp would over heat. biggest way to have more boom is have an amp that has a gain AND bass controls. guy bought some of my subs hoping they would sound the same or better connected to his amp. he didnt have the extra controls like me and had a more powerfull amp. my amp still pounded them harder than his stronger amp. i was always told if you are gonna under power them some run a sealed box so that the speakers pressurize the box and forces them outward
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

i also run a sealed box stuffed with polyfill and a pr of 12" subs

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

forgot to mention i sold my setup so i can get something better in the future. i plan on getting and modifying some sub boxes to fit the sides of the trunk instead of a single dual sub box in the center of the trunk so i have room to put stuff back there if needed.
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Two Dr.Crankenstein 15's in a sealed, reinforced, polyfilled 6 cubic foot box powered by 1000wrms of high-current Soundstream Reference power produced tears in everyone in the car. Back seat passengers had a hard time breathing. I drove around for one day like that and then pulled it from the car. Pure overkill. It was replaced with a ported single 10" sub. If I were to do it again, I'd build a false floor, 3/4" MDF sandwiched, glued, and screwed, and use the bottom well of the trunk as a sealed enclosure for the 12" JBL I have on the shelf, NIB.

Comment

If you want SPL use a huge ported box with plenty of port area. What sub(s) are you planning on running? Also how much power do you have on tap?

Make sure your front stage can keep up with whatever you decide to choose for your subwoofer.

In my LTD, I have 15" Digital Designs 2515a subwoofer powered by two Directed Audio 750d, providing me with 1200 watts RMS @ 2 ohms.

Comment

As for right now I have the single 10", but I want a set of 15"s or bigger....Not worried about trunk space, never haul anything other than a Jack an a small toolbox....

I dont know if a friend of mine still has the setup, but I was offered a set of 2x15" Sound Stream Tarantula series subs and the box for $350.....Still want the MA 2x15" set he had...oh well...Thats the sizes I am shooting for.....
                sigpic1991 Crown Vic 351w 5.8L

Comment

wheel well boxes

its always possible to create a box that fits in the space behind the rear wheel wells. takes some time and effort, but WELL worth it. that way you have the use of the whole trunk.
                  What happened here?

Comment

Im on a quest to make the ultimate box panther sub box
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

check out my post on wheel well boxes. i will be uploading more pics of that project and the pattern in a few days. saves on trunk space.
                      What happened here?

Comment

Working...
                      X