{ENGINE} Interesting EGR Info.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{ENGINE} Interesting EGR Info.....

I found this posted on corral.net. So, if you got a EGR code (31,32,33,34 or 35) and have crappy MPG, this might explain why.
    This also applies to all you guys who think blocking off the EGR "improves" performance.

Quote:
    "you shouldn't run the block-off unless you're either not running EGR or there's an alternate supply for it, because...

...the fuel management strategy assumes the presence of a functioning EGR system and you'll get an overly lean part-throttle cruise if you block it off and don't have a chip tune to tell the computer not to...and when you have a lean part-throttle cruise, the EEC picks that information up from the O2 sensors and adds fuel. But it doesn't just add fuel to part-throttle cruise operation, it adds compensating fuel even during open-loop (non-O2-feedback) conditions such as startup, idle, and WOT.

Short story is since the EEC assumes a functioning EGR, and if you haven't instructed it otherwise, you're setting yourself up for rich running and resulting performance/driveability issues by blocking off its flow."
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

So true. It's good to have a littel extra fuel, but too much just makes thing worse. And if its adding more fuel to the open-loop mode, that is deffinantly too much.

Comment

I solved that problem by pulling the computer.

Too much fuel can also fuck up your cats.
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

A 3 foot pole is what *ucked up my cats. LOL Gut them suckers!

Still a rich fuel mixture can cause a good se of cats to get red hot. Can even melt down the inside of the cat which is how it ruins them.

Comment

Working...
        X