Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vacum leak!

I gots a vacum leak!!!!

Its in my front smog containers i believe... the hoses were just broken right off from the box.

Anyone know were i can get this part? cause my car is starting up strangly and i had to adjust my idle bolt so it will stay running..

I hope that is the ony reason it was dying out?

any advice would be a great help.

Do like i did with my buds focus, duct tape :p

In all seriousness, you shouldnt have been messing with that idle bolt. IIRC, one of the gurus told me that it messes with TPS calibration.

Honestly, i wouldnt see the harm in using duct tape to limp it, but ill let someone else chime in here. I know this is halfassed, but the hose has to be replaced anyway.

Check rockauto.com, the stealership, and the local places if i were you.

Damnit, let me dig up my service manual and see.

Be warned, i know jack shit about cars, so automatically assume what i just typed is total bullshit.

Comment

If the thing's dying, have you checked the idle air bypass valve for proper operation? At least on 5.0 motors, they could become contaminated with oil from the breather tube and quit working so that it takes throttle input to keep the motor running. A NAPA guy advised me once to try cleaning it out with brake cleaner before replacing it.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Funny Idle conditions can be caused by
        1.IAC
        2.IAT
        3.Vacumm Leak
        4.Bad Timing

Front smog containers? Do you mean that black box on the drivers side wheel well. That black box is a vacumm canisiter
        R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
        Originally posted by MeanVic84
        Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

well no its right behind the bumper on the passengers side.. its got two hoses that werent ever broken (i wrecked the car and insurance insisted it wasnt because of the Damage.) but they are stupid cheep assholes.. thats besides the point at hand.

THIS IS A 4.6L

Ok sometimes when i start up the vehicle it will idle REALLY low.. and then you can here my plenum just open up in a mass air flow shoots threw and you can hear it clearly and then it revs up and idles fine...

If i adjust my idle screw on the plenum to its original position the car dies out quick unless i keep it floored.

it couldnt be my timing because this thing still boogies like always and dont notice any wierd vibations or odd noises.

I know for sure i need a new IAC component but also would the odd running be from that front cannister(s)?

and also if i replace the IAC would that fix the idleing problem? and could i return my idle screw on my plenum back to its original placement?

IM GOING CRAZY HERE!!!

Also the hoses are contaminated with debree and shit... so are the canisters.. would ducting them help or do more damage?
          Last edited by 97marquismuscle; 01-04-2008, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 97marquismuscle View Post
            and also if i replace the IAC would that fix the idleing problem? and could i return my idle screw on my plenum back to its original placement?
            Pretty sure, yeah, unless there's an electrical problem going to the IAC.

Not sure about the routing to the canisters in the front, not being familiar with 4.6L cars.... IAC should draw air from the intake pipe .... obviously, breaks in plumbing to any canisters will cause funkiness, but generally (at least in my experience) that'll result in a high idle, not in the car not idling at all.

What all canisters are there? There's definitely an evacuative-emissions canister of some sort, but is there also a vacuum reserve canister like on the older cars?

Comment

Well i do have an after market intake on it... but the sensors and crap are all properly hooked up and there arent any breaks in it whatsoever.

well its two canister actually but they have something to do with fuel air ratio im sure.. but that still doesnt explain why it just doesnt idle .. and why i have to adjust my idle screw on the plenum to make it run... wouldnt it be idling higher and not as it was stock? I adjusted it to rev at a higher RPM to keep it running but its just running completely normal at like 7-1k rpm depending on its temperature at idle... I would think that would be very odd?

Maybe its getting to much air not enough fuel and when it finally gets enough fuel it opens the plenum up and runs?...

this is far confusing and noone has been able to help me out not even a dealership..

I guess when i get enough money ill just replace the crap and get it fixed but i wish i knew a different way.

Comment

Okay, so by "canisters" you may also be thinking of things like the fuel pressure regulator? That'll do weird stuff if defective, like incorrect A/F ratios at certain engine speeds, but it won't make the car stall unless there's extremely low fuel pressure.

Speaking of fuel pressure, I assume the fuel pump and filter are good? I would assume they are, since you report satisfactory operation at higher RPM. Injector-related or ignition-related problems should also cause funky running in general, so for now I'm assuming that's not it either.

All I can really suggest is to remove and inspect the IAC valve. If it checks out and you clean it out with brake cleaner for good measure, you can check the voltage on the plug going to it. A decent motor manual (or some GMN member other than myself) ought to be able to tell you what voltage you should see there with the ignition on but the engine off. I'm not the world's expert in fuel-injected systems (turbo or someone would know a LOT more than I do), but I'm pretty certain that such a stalling problem on any SEFI motor will be related to the IAC valve.

--- EDIT ---

One thing I don't know is whether a bad TPS reading would cause stalling. What I'm supposing is that since the IAC basically operates only at idle and when engine speed is decreasing rapidly, that maybe if the computer thinks the throttle is open when you're actually at idle, it wouldn't tell the IAC valve to open, resulting in stalling. So checking TPS voltage may or may not also be a useful check to perform.
                Last edited by 1987cp; 01-04-2008, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Basically anyone i've asked has said IAC valve was the issue and i hooked my Super chip up to it and it threw IAC code this afternoon after my previous post. Interesting that that stupid little 50 dollar part is causeing me near heart falliure..

i fricken drop 2500 bucks fixing the engine and rear end and i dont even get the part i need replaced fixed... last time i trust others to work on my vehicles.

By the way did you guys know i wrecked my car ? bent the frame pretty damn bad and they gave me a new one! to bad my insurance wouldnt do anything else to it after that cause i told em i didnt want it totalled out since it was 6200 bucks in dmg's it was almsot near totalled. At least i got some new paint!

Comment

I'm sorry I don't have any helpful suggestions, but I do have a question - what is you tire/rim size combo? And those are the "soft 8" rims right? They look great in the pic!
                    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
                    Bone stock... for now.

Comment

What was the engine work you had done? I'm getting used to building an entire engine for 2500 bucks, but then, I'm not paying very much of that in labor costs. I've also gotten used to some places at least determining that stuff's not wrong with stuff when it really is ... unfortunately, it's given me a rather cynical attitude about cars and automotive service in general.

Sucks about the collision. My Mercury was actually "totalled" four years ago in a pretty minor collision (just needed a new fender, bumper, and header panel, but the thing's not worth much $$$ either), but I was able to talk the insurance people into deducting the car's salvage value and just cutting me a check without messing with a salvage title. I discovered while filing a somewhat nebulous claim on my wife's car (that's a whole 'nother story) that insurance adjustors somehow don't see eye-to-eye with someone who's used to taking care of their own junk. :p

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry I don't have any helpful suggestions, but I do have a question - what is you tire/rim size combo? And those are the "soft 8" rims right? They look great in the pic!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are 215-15-65 pizza cutters in the FR - 255-16-50 X 8 wide rear tires.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah this marquis i bought it totalled with salvage title and worked on it for quite some time getting it repaired and such when i was about 17-20 years old. Just finished it last spring and it got wrecked but luckly for me i didnt have to fix it.

as far as engine work well i had to get-

-new radiator supper and radiator
                        -new fenders and bumpers all around
                        -new interior pieces
                        -alot of electrical work
                        -new upper intake rebuild
                        -new head gasket and intake gaskets and all gaskets
                        -4 new fuel injectors
                        -new exaust (old one was bent like a tuna can half way down the car)
                        -new intake and fan shroud and both analog and electric fan and fan shroud
                        -new rear end gears and u-joint
                        -Full synthetic fluid change in tranny, rear end, engine
                        -switched up all old crap parts with motorcraft parts
                        -new tires and rims

This car has just been a fricken money pit but i love it to much to give up... call me stubborn. :-P

Comment

This car has just been a fricken money pit but i love it to much to give up... call me stubborn. :-P
                          I know the feeling - and my cars aren't even as nice! :p

Comment

mines not all that either but its fun driving a couch down the street at high speeds.. now i need a TV and i can call it home! :-p

Comment

I gots a vacum leak!!!!

Its in my front smog containers i believe... the hoses were just broken right off from the box.

Anyone know were i can get this part? cause my car is starting up strangly and i had to adjust my idle bolt so it will stay running..

I hope that is the ony reason it was dying out?

any advice would be a great help.
                              yeah probably. Shouldn't have touched the idle screw. Anyway, you can get the thing from the junkyard. or you could tape it up or something so it doesn't leak.

Comment

Working...
                              X