Bad PCM or what?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad PCM or what?????

I knew it had to happen sooner or later... the wife's 2001 Grand Marquis is down!!!

2008 is NOT starting off very well. Kim limped her 2001 Grand Marquis (4.6L - 70K on the clock) home from work this morning. 35 MPH on I-95.

She called me when she reached the parking lot and told me to please come out and "see what I could see". I get ut the front door of the building and I can here what I thought was a Mustang GT with a set of Flowmaster 40's on it ... boy was I wrong. As I got closer to the car I see it shaking like a paint can shaker at Home Depot and I can smell raw gas from the exhaust. (the 20 mph wind in my face got it to me real fast)

Anyway, I hollered at her to just shut it down. I'm figuring, okay... fuel line split, injector o-ring blew apart, COPS failed, O2 Sensor shot .... Long story longer, I can't see anything physically wrong with the motor but I did look under the car and saw a split in the passenger side convertor.

I told her to get back in the car and let's get it over to the mechanic...P R O N T O!!!! Luckliy the shop is less than 2 minutes away so we got it over there. Dropped it off and dude will call me when he get's it inside and looks under the hood. CEL was on (obviously) He calls me about an hour later after pulling codes and swapping out COPS just to rule out those as the problem. He then tells me that there is nothing going to the COPS on cylynders 1, 2, 3, and 7. They're dead. After further diagnostics, he calls me back and says that he's almoat 100% certain that it's the PCM.

Now, right now, I'm so poor, that if I could go around the world on a quarter, I wouldn't be able to get out my front door. I digress.....

340.00 for a new PCM (if that's the trouble) 65.00 for the tow to the Ford dealership so they can flash the new PCM (100.00) , 60.00 to weld the seam together on the convertor plus other "shop charges" + tax I'm looking at $600.00 give or take.

My three questions; First, do the prices seem in line? Second, is there anything else other than the PCM that would stop the COPS from getting current? Third, Under Federal Emissions Guidelines, aren't the PCM's supposed to last to at least 80,000 miles (which means FORD has to fix it for free?

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome and appreciated! Thanks for listening!
    Jack (Hizhonor)
    The Lincoln Mark VII Club
    www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org

sigpic

I dont know about the PCM being under a warranty, but the converter should be guaranteed for 10 years or 100k. The split is probably from running super rich from the ignition not going on half the motor. No idea what would cause that though, I'm not well versed on the newer cars.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Should be covered under the federal emissions warranty, but the date may get in the way, call ASAP

Comment

Thanks, guys! My mechanic researched it and yes, it is under warranty. If in fact it IS the PCM, Ford will replace it at no charge but it HAS to be the PCM and not something just "related" to it. It might be in one of the harness' ... we'll see. Thanks again for the replies.
        Jack (Hizhonor)

sigpic

Comment

I just totaled my 2001 Grand Marquis GS M74 So I might be able to pull mine if you want it
          R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
          Originally posted by MeanVic84
          Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmarchris View Post
            I just totaled my 2001 Grand Marquis GS M74 So I might be able to pull mine if you want it
            Thanks for your offer! I'll let you know once I hear back from my wrench turner!
            Jack (Hizhonor)

sigpic

Comment

probably needs a tune up also.....those spark plugs do not last 100,000 miles well......i dont know who's goofy idea 100,000 mile spark plugs are......they should be changed every 25,000 miles

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                probably needs a tune up also.....those spark plugs do not last 100,000 miles well......i dont know who's goofy idea 100,000 mile spark plugs are......they should be changed every 25,000 miles

YO Scott!!!!!!! Damn, boy ... I thought you fell off the face of the earth! You need to get down here for a breakfast! Happy New Year! Hit the LM7 Club Events page!

I changed the plugs during the summer. They have less than 4K miles on them. <shrug>
                Jack (Hizhonor)

sigpic

Comment

Update .........

Well, dude swapped out all the COPS and the same thing happened... cylinders 1,2,3 and 7 aren't firing. There's power goint to all 8, though. Consensus is that those four cylinders aren't getting ground from the PCM, sooooooooooo.....

The GM will be towed up to the FORD Dealership today where a new PCM and cat will be replaced (seam blew out due to all the pressure build up from the raw fuel dump)
                  (all under the 8/80 warranty)
                  Jack (Hizhonor)

sigpic

Comment

My platinums I took out of the towny at 86k were alright still, but I wanted new anyway.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

PCM crapped out on my Ranger once. I got phantom codes for the coil packs being bad.

Unfortunatly I was one year out of the ten year warranty and I had to buy it myself. But it was only $220 @ Ford wholesale. The service tech told me the old computer even had the wrong program in it somehow.

You could take the PCM to the dealership and save on towing charges?
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

God that sucks. Hopefully that's what it is. Good thing it's under warranty. so any updates?

Comment

Working...
                        X