Questions About Speakers and another mystery switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions About Speakers and another mystery switch

Went to the junkyard today and got door speakers. Got them from a post facelift MGM. Anywho. The plug is different and won't plug into my existing harness. I was stupid and did not take the harness with me. Can I make somewhat of a custom wire hookup for the new speakers?

Also. The mystery switch. While I was at the junkyard, I found a tan LTD Vic. it had vent windows that you would open by twisting a knob. And a switch that interested me. It said "pull amplifier" It looked like the light switch. I don't know what year the car was. Don't know what it was for.

Also btw I got the TV cable and will be installing it tomorrow

Premium sound maybe?
    1985 .LTD Crown Victoria
    1986 .LTD Crown Victoria

Both tan

Comment

Originally posted by V8sofa View Post
      Premium sound maybe?
      I have premium sound. it's just that the harness is different.

Comment

thats the switch to turn the amp on, it must of been pre 85, they used to have a manual turn on for the amp, my lincoln has it, and that knob on the door opens the vents....you can make anything you want, but sounds like you got some old stock speakers

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

real old school premium sound. It had a knob to turn the amp on.

for the speakers, if you can get something to plug in, go for it. otherwise, you'll probably need the correct wire ends, or the correct speakers for your existing plugs.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thanks.
            I thought that it was something with the car being older needing a manual switch for it. But it looked so weird there. Never saw anything like it.

Comment

Well I cut the wires and put a connectors on them and plugged them in. Speakers work great! For some reason when the radio is louder, the door rattles. what can I do to fix this problem? And don't say lower the radio :lol:

Oh BTW I got lighted door panels from the post-facelift MGM and put them on. Does anyone know if there were lighted door panels in the back? If so I'd love to get them from there. I can't recall whether or not there were lights on the rear doors.

Oh and out of curiosity, how long is the TV cable? We got one from an '86 Vic Wagon. And it was a lot shorter than I had thought.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post

Oh and out of curiosity, how long is the TV cable? We got one from an '86 Vic Wagon. And it was a lot shorter than I had thought.

yours is longer???? they should be the same...
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

tighten the screws up on the speaker, and make sure there is no crap laying around in the bottom of the door. Nuts, bolts, leaves, and even extra door lock buttons aren't unheard of.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Neither are:

Condoms-Broken/Non Broken
                    Popsicle sticks
                    Gum wrappers
                    Guns
                    Beaners
                    And everyones favorite:JIMMY HOFFA!

Seriously dude, check yer trunk, its EASY to lose a fellar in there, 'specially the Hoffa.....
                    sigpic1991 Crown Vic 351w 5.8L

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      thanks.
                      I thought that it was something with the car being older needing a manual switch for it. But it looked so weird there. Never saw anything like it.
                      Just curious, was this switch by chance located down underneath the dash? My '79 has a small plunger-type switch mounted to the very bottom of the dash that doesn't seem to do anything, and I haven't bothered figuring out what it's attached to.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 351wcrayz View Post
                        Neither are:

Condoms-Broken/Non Broken
                        Popsicle sticks
                        Gum wrappers
                        Guns
                        Beaners
                        And everyones favorite:JIMMY HOFFA!

Seriously dude, check yer trunk, its EASY to lose a fellar in there, 'specially the Hoffa.....
                        ain't in my trunk and I doubt that sonuvabitch can fit in my door.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          Just curious, was this switch by chance located down underneath the dash? My '79 has a small plunger-type switch mounted to the very bottom of the dash that doesn't seem to do anything, and I haven't bothered figuring out what it's attached to.
                          yes on the right side of the steering wheel pointing down to the floor

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
                            yours is longer???? they should be the same...
                            no they're the same. When he pulled the cable out of the wagon in the yard, I thought it would be longer than that. We took the old cable out tonight and compared them. They're the same.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              tighten the screws up on the speaker, and make sure there is no crap laying around in the bottom of the door. Nuts, bolts, leaves, and even extra door lock buttons aren't unheard of.
                              will do. I'll run the vacuum in there to make sure there is no crap in there. Maybe it's just cause I have the panel off?

Comment

Working...
                              X