blind distributor stab, TDC nightmare?try this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blind distributor stab, TDC nightmare?try this

im new so i guess i have to post here but wanted to share this. ignition mod went out so i took my spare out the trunk and changed it out. dropped the distributor back in wrong(no excuse i know) before i pulled the #1 plug and stuck in my finger, a straw ,screwdriver etc. to find TDC compression stroke, i simply used a socket and ratchet on the alternator pulley to spin dampener via the belt to 0. lifted distributor and spun rotor to my mark inside cap for #1. 50/50 chance , right? of course it wouldn't start.no need to panic yet,just simply spun dampener around to 0 with the rotor pointing 180^ away from my #1 mark pulled distributor out enough to spin rotor to my #1 mark and dropped it back in . fired her up, took out timing light and set her to 10^BTDC. worked for me, hope it helps someone else
    s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/brokebill/
    "Ain't we gonna bury him ?"
    "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms."
    ----outlaw josey wales
    (88 LTD Crown Vic LX-Ruby)

how do you know its the compression stroke if you use a straw or screwdriver?
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Hello...
      Be good, if not, be good at it!!

Originally posted by N A
      RideIt, I hope you know we are going to screw with you because you're the coolest chick on this 'site.
      Originally posted by p71towny
      Your one of the most kick ass girls I know.
      :golf: :golf: :golf: :golf: :golf:

Comment

nothing in the spark plug holes but spark plugs

i did the work today and all the info on the net says if you dont have a compression gauge to use a screwdriver ,plastic straw piece of copper wire or any number of foreign objects to stick in the spark plug hole and see what the piston is doing. i think spark plug holes are for spark plugs. didn't even have to take mine out. just figured if i lined up the the dampener and rotor and it was wrong then just bring the dampener around till it was lined up and the rotor was then 180^ from the #1 mark all i had to do was lift the distributor and turn the rotor to the #1 mark and it would be right. it worked so whether it was dumb luck or a good idea i'll take it. Ruby is running! never had to find TDC from scratch before so i hope i hit on some shadetree logic that might help someone else . if i did a bad thing somebody let me know , if not maybe it will help someone . thanks
        s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/brokebill/
        "Ain't we gonna bury him ?"
        "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms."
        ----outlaw josey wales
        (88 LTD Crown Vic LX-Ruby)

Comment

thats right it would be one or the other... I missed that the point was it didnt matter, lol
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

You done good, mang! Good simple way of doing it if you don't have a valve cover off so that you can find the compression stroke.

Also, welcome to GMN!

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

the other simple way is to stick your finger in the hole. When it gets blown off, either you've made the lady mad, or its on the compression stroke.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

:lol:Now I have a mental image with a champaign cork sound effect.:lol:

Comment

nothing so interesting, it sounds like someone letting off a one cheek sneak.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by brokebill View Post
                    im new so i guess i have to post here but wanted to share this. ignition mod went out so i took my spare out the trunk and changed it out. dropped the distributor back in wrong(no excuse i know) before i pulled the #1 plug and stuck in my finger, a straw ,screwdriver etc. to find TDC compression stroke, i simply used a socket and ratchet on the alternator pulley to spin dampener via the belt to 0. lifted distributor and spun rotor to my mark inside cap for #1. 50/50 chance , right? of course it wouldn't start.no need to panic yet,just simply spun dampener around to 0 with the rotor pointing 180^ away from my #1 mark pulled distributor out enough to spin rotor to my #1 mark and dropped it back in . fired her up, took out timing light and set her to 10^BTDC. worked for me, hope it helps someone else
                    use your finger. that's how you tell which stroke it's on. the first time you had it, it was on the exhaust stroke of cylinder one. If you have two people have someone crank the engine until you get a stronger burst of air. That would be compression stroke and that's where you would set the distributor to #1. it should be close enough to where you can get it started and play with the timing to make it run right.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      the other simple way is to stick your finger in the hole. When it gets blown off, either you've made the lady mad, or its on the compression stroke.

Comment

Working...
                      X