Check Engine light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Engine light

hIGH ALL i have an 89 Cv LX and when i accelerate my check engine light blinks

if it blinks you may have a serious problem... Id get those codes pulled ASAP...
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

the yellow one or the red one?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

its the yellow one

Comment

from what i know... the engine light comes on from bad oil pressure, but hitting gas would raise that. other thing usually is temperature. thoser are about only things i can think of at the time.
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Welcome to GMN!

Most 1989's had a real check engine light, in place of the check oil or windshield washer light.

The yellow one is the "real" check engine light. It means the computer has detected a problem. Get a code reader or follow the directions at http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Hello.....
              Be good, if not, be good at it!!

Originally posted by N A
              RideIt, I hope you know we are going to screw with you because you're the coolest chick on this 'site.
              Originally posted by p71towny
              Your one of the most kick ass girls I know.
              :golf: :golf: :golf: :golf: :golf:

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic View Post
                from what i know... the engine light comes on from bad oil pressure, but hitting gas would raise that. other thing usually is temperature. thoser are about only things i can think of at the time.
                What Tiggie said in the above post. Yellow is the check engine light that comes on when there are codes present on the computer. The red one is the one you are talking about, Jim. What I don't know is which year they changed.

:off-topic:
                *please note that I am afraid to post anything in order not to sound redundant or taking someone elses thoughts. I appologize in advance for anything that I might do in the future, and please not that I do not wish to upset anyone here on this site.*

Comment

Originally posted by 89Lx-First-On-Race-Day View Post
                  hIGH ALL i have an 89 Cv LX and when i accelerate my check engine light blinks
                  When you are accelerating, is the car doing anything weird like bucking, or acting sluggish or anything that is out of the ordinary to your normal driving of the car?

Comment

no it seems to run great. i did fail to mention that there is a whole in my cat left side.

Comment

Originally posted by 89Lx-First-On-Race-Day View Post
                      no it seems to run great. i did fail to mention that there is a whole in my cat left side.
                      yes you did. But I don't think there were any more sensors after the O2 sensors for the exhaust.

Comment

any suggestions on what code reader to buy( nuthin too expensive)

Comment

My personal suggestion is to start by doing the jumper-wire routine and skipping the code reader for now. Just need a short piece of wire, preferably with uninsulated male spade connectors on each end, and follow the instructions at the link Tiggie posted. Counting the number of times the light flashes is a pain, but it's free.

If you want the codes scanned by a code reader, your local AutoZone or PartsAmerica store (Advance, etc.) probably has one they can use to give you a free reading.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                          X