All My Exhaust Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All My Exhaust Q's

I have a few so ill do this all at once.

I have- Flowmasters. I understand they have a life span. Can I increase this by spray painting them with an high temp paint...BBQ paint maybe. I wanna stop the exterior rot.They are only weeks old.

I have the desire to increase the sound. I would like to cut out my last two cats.- I can only get a 110v Flux core welding rig to my house. As I dont have 220v in the garage. Now would these welds life span be prolonged by painting them like the Flowmasters ? And yes I do have a telescoping mirror so I wont have any leaks into the passenger cabin.

I was also considering cutting the pipes out after the mufflers then using that same pipe and routing some dumps shortly after the mufflers. The idea being to have the sound bounce off the ground and use the undercarriage as a "speaker box" Any thoughts ?

Lastly. I know my last 02 sensors are gonna have conniption fits. Can I get around using MIL/CEL eliminators ? If I cant how do they work and how do they receive power ?

Ok thanks for everyones input in advance.

Maybe Dynomax Race Bullets:

or Flowmaster 1-chambers:

would have been better for you?

2.5 inch piping from the manifolds to the mufflers, no cats at all, with an X or H pipe, to 90* dumps before the axles with the above mufflers would increase the sound level dramatically. This set up will most likely rob your low-end torque, however.

Metal will resist corrosion longer with paint, be it mufflers, or welded pipe. Rustoleum BBQ paint has worked well for me in the past. You have to prep the areas to be painted, however. Clean the areas with soap and water, then hit it with some fine grit sandpaper, and then a tack cloth. This will remove all the dirt, and oil, from the surface and allow the paint to stick. BTW, my flows are a decade old, and are doing fine.

Comment

i've tried welding exhaust pipe with a flux core mig welder.......doesent work so hot on the factory stainless pipe
      you'll also need a pr of mil eliminators for a mustang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
        i've tried welding exhaust pipe with a flux core mig welder.......doesent work so hot on the factory stainless pipe
        you'll also need a pr of mil eliminators for a mustang
        His '97 has stainless exhaust?

And yeah, dumps will be LOUD. I once rigged some really weird pipe routing just to get rid of the extra resonance from a pair of center-exit turbo mufflers; got dramatically quieter once the exhaust stream was directed out the side instead of under the car.
        Last edited by 1987cp; 01-13-2008, 08:24 AM.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yea it's low grade stainless....it rusts but doesent flake apart like normal pipe....it will usually crack when it gets weak whick is usually caused by high heat from a clogged cat, running problem......the whole system on 92+ except the stock weird looking mufflers.........the cat pipes on a stock box are stainless too......and dont throw the cats away.....you can get 20 bucks ea or more for them

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Definately ditch the resonators. For even more sound, replace the factory convertors with Magnaflow hi-flow convertors.
            1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
            1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
            1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Ok here goes.

Cats- Dont want to spend the money on new ones.
              And throw them away...Dude theres Platinum in there.Can you say scrap yard.

Pipe suggestions- Dont have the money for bigger pipes.

In general my situation dictates that I have to work with what I have here. Just trying to find hole in my plan if there are any.

Resonators- I dont have any. Its really just Manifold- cats- 02- cats-02-mufflers-tail pipes.

MIL eliminators- How do they work ? I mean do I have to supply current some how and eliminate my 02 wiring ?

The cats I want to cut are a secondary measure in the system.

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
              MEDIC......GIMMIE A STRETCHER........Sorry Sir Private Project got hit directly in the chest.....Theres nothing we can do for him....Sir He's DEAD....

Ok Well after all maybe I can convince my plant Maintenance supervisor to let me slip in one day and use a real live Lincoln 220v.

Thanks guys .
              Last edited by Rizzo; 01-13-2008, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Keeping stock 2" piping is fine for a lightly modded 4.6L; if you don't have inspections then you can get some test pipes put in place of the cats and sell the cats for scrap. Use the O2 eliminators (MIL/CEL eliminators, whatever you want to call them) and put on the flowmasters and use turndowns and that'll be plenty loud for you, and it sound have a nice deep tone too especially with the H-pipe. Are you planning on putting it all together yourself or having an exhaust shop do it?
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Myself.

Comment

Originally posted by 97cv View Post
                    MIL eliminators- How do they work ? I mean do I have to supply current some how and eliminate my 02 wiring ?
                    I don't know much, but from reading Mustang magazines I'm pretty sure they just plug into the wiring harness in lieu of the secondary oxygen sensors and sit there and tell the computer the exhaust is getting scrubbed properly so it'll run right with the cats removed. Of course, you probably know that removing a decent-flowing modern cat won't do much if anything for performance, but they will make it louder, which is what you stated your goal as anyway. :p

Comment

:stupid: Except he isn't stupid, but there's no smilie with a sign that says "I'm with the guy who commented previously who has automotive knowledge far superior to my own."

From what I understand, these modern cats have pretty decent flow-through, and if it's relatively light modding you're interested in, there's no reason to nix them or replace them with "hi-flow" units.
                      Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
                      Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Neat-o thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                          From what I understand, these modern cats have pretty decent flow-through, and if it's relatively light modding you're interested in, there's no reason to nix them or replace them with "hi-flow" units.
                          hehe - tell that to my Cav-loving acquaintance who bragged about spending $500 on a high-flow cat for his stock SOHC '95 Cavalqueer that's going to get a different crankshaft to increase valve lift. I think he put a $1000 high-performance clutch on it as well - to withstand his blistering 115hp mill, ya know?

Comment

Punch the cats and get O2 sims. The fronts are a little hard and there is a screen to remove but its doable. That will get you decent loudness.
                            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Thanks Frye.

Comment

Working...
                              X