Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FNG with a Wagon

Hey guys,

I've been hanging around CVN since 2003 and I can't believe I never knew about this site. It seems like days go by between new posts in the 5.0/5.8 forums over there. It's great to see how many boxes and overall activity there is on this site. There's even a Wagon forum... awesome!

So a little about me. I got my first GM back in '02 when I inherited my late Grandpas '89. It was a great car but I couldn't take it with me from Calif to Ga. Bummersville, population: me.

But the box bug bit me and I had to have another. I found an ad last August for a running/driving '88 GM with 98k for $400. I called right away. It turned out to be a really decent Colony Park (wasn't expecting that!) that has spent it's entire life in South Ga. I got every piece of documentation possible for the car including the original window sticker.

Once I scrubbed off the old man funk, it was solid but rough at the same time. Totally solid body, literally zero rust anywhere, but needed a bunch of mechanical fixes, and it had several electrical gremlins. I rebuilt all the window motors, replaced the lock actuators, the fuel sending unit, alternator, radiator, water pump, t-stat, injectors, hoses, belts, all tune-up stuff, rewired the tow-package harness, full brake rebuilds front and rear, all 4 shocks, IAC, PCV, P/S hoses and lines, upper and lower intake gaskets, a throttle body rebuild and even head gaskets. I replaced a bunch of auto-climate control related parts and a whole bunch of interior trim stuff. I then painted it black, installed a set of 01 Explorer 16's and lowered the front 3". Total investment including home garage paintjob... $1250.00. I've put on 5k miles (including a 1300 mile trip) without a hiccup so far. How cool is that?

Anyhow, sorry about the novel, I'm excited to be here. Looking forward to getting to know you all!
    sigpic

Ted
    '88 Merc Longroof
    Wood stickers rule.

to GMN!
    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

how did you lower it 3"??? any alignment or tire clearance issues??
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Sweet wagon! The wagon guys on here are gonna love another member, lol.

I'd love to see some larger photos of your car too!!
        1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
        1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
        1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

to GMN mang, nice wagon. Are you using the stock front springs but with a coil removed from each? Looks good.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Always good to see n00bs with wagons. That sounds like one heck of a score! The sig pic looks good; looking forward to seeing more pics when you get time.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Hey man ..Good to see you over here as well.

Comment

Welcome! You really accomplished a lot with how (relatively speaking) little money you spent! We need to see more pictures of that car.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I sawl your car on cvn really nice colony park. welcome by the way

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

You painted it yourself? Looks pretty good in the pics for a home-spun paint job. Welcome to GMN! You'll find here that the 5.0/5.8 section is the better of the two as far as getting info quickly. However, our 4.6 section isn't shabby either. This is a good place with a pretty nice atmosphere overall. Lets see more posts and more pics!
                      Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
                      Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Nice wagon!

North Atlanta? Ever go to the Southern Superheavy Shootout at Atlanta Dragway?
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Got a few pics up for you guys... hope I did it right!

sigpic

Ted
                          '88 Merc Longroof
                          Wood stickers rule.

Comment

And a few more...

sigpic

Ted
                            '88 Merc Longroof
                            Wood stickers rule.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post

how did you lower it 3"??? any alignment or tire clearance issues??
                              Basically, I disconnected the front suspension at the upper ball joint, removed the coil spring and trimmed one full round off of it using a cutoff wheel. I reinstalled the springs with a fresh set of shocks and went cruising. It drove just fine immediately after, but I did have to realign the front end and round the fender lip slightly. Fortunately, the fender trim does not curve under the wheel lip on wagons like it does on sedans. I just rolled the fender and the trim stayed original. I'm running 235/65r16 in the front and 255/70r16 in the back. No rubbing at all from the rear.
                              sigpic

Ted
                              '88 Merc Longroof
                              Wood stickers rule.

Comment

Working...
                              X