stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stalling

when its below 0 or 10-15 below, when i start the car if i dont hold the gas down a tad for the first few seconds, its stalls out, after 2-4 seconds its fine..

is there some sort of idle air / throttle thing?

mine does the same thing at anything below 10 degrees. I just figure it's the really cold blowby oil in the IAC not letting the plunger freely control the idle right off the bat.
    It's a really minor thing not worthy of me freezing my ass off to fix in the ungodly cold at the time.
    1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
    1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
    1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Ok, Assuming you have a 92-98 Crown Victoria.

This is your IAC ( Idle Air Control valve ). This picture is EXACTLY how its gonna look when you find it behind your TB.

Its going to be held on by 2 Phillips bolts. I suggest trying to WARM not HEAT it when you try to remove it. Its easy cheesey 1,2,3-sey.

If you would feel better about it and I always suggest this. Remove your PCM fuse. Its in the fuse box under the hood. Its the LARGE fuse 4 th down middle row. OR count 3 relays down on the right side and thats it next to it. This will get the PCM to erase ANY KAM codes...Your car is prolly trying to " Learn to live with it ".

Lastly from what I have read. There isnt really an effective way to clean it-Good news is there are CHEAP, And NO Junkyard finds wont have the same life span as a new one.
      Last edited by Rizzo; 01-18-2008, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DANARCHY View Post
        when its below 0 or 10-15 below, when i start the car if i dont hold the gas down a tad for the first few seconds, its stalls out, after 2-4 seconds its fine..

is there some sort of idle air / throttle thing?
        mine does that too. It'll turn over then stall does it a couple of times then it starts bogs down real low then it idles normally.

Comment

i havent had the problem... only problem that developed on me recently is that the Grand Marquis is idling higher
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

It seems to be a problem with Crown Victoria's 92-200x. ESPECIALLY in P71's. They have dam near exhausted their ability to idle by auction time.

Comment

Originally posted by 97cv View Post
              Ok, Assuming you have a 92-98 Crown Victoria.

This is your IAC ( Idle Air Control valve ). This picture is EXACTLY how its gonna look when you find it behind your TB.

Its going to be held on by 2 Phillips bolts. I suggest trying to WARM not HEAT it when you try to remove it. Its easy cheesey 1,2,3-sey.

If you would feel better about it and I always suggest this. Remove your PCM fuse. Its in the fuse box under the hood. Its the LARGE fuse 4 th down middle row. OR count 3 relays down on the right side and thats it next to it. This will get the PCM to erase ANY KAM codes...Your car is prolly trying to " Learn to live with it ".

Lastly from what I have read. There isnt really an effective way to clean it-Good news is there are CHEAP, And NO Junkyard finds wont have the same life span as a new one.
              I just replaced the IAC my in the HPP I had that problem.........
              2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
              85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
              07 JCL 250 A Scooter
              79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

i got a 2001 base model HPP sorry for not specifying

yea, holding down the accelerator just a wee bit for 2 seconds seems a much easier solution than trying to fix wo knows what

Comment

Originally posted by DANARCHY View Post
                  i got a 2001 base model HPP sorry for not specifying

yea, holding down the accelerator just a wee bit for 2 seconds seems a much easier solution than trying to fix wo knows what
                  Replace the IAC Danarchy the you`ll no problem after thx.........
                  2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
                  85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
                  07 JCL 250 A Scooter
                  79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

cool! thanks

Comment

well the car just sat for 3 days, started it up it was 10 out this morning, started right up, no stalling...

Comment

Maybe it has to be colder.

Comment

As said above, it's your IAC sticking in the cold weather.

There is a how-to in the BOK forum on CVN - but it's pretty straight forward. Two bolts, 1 hose, one connector. 10 minutes TOPS
                          -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                          My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                          Modifications
                          Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Working...
                          X