X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying 82' Merc

I'm thinking of buying this 82' Merc
    http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/1982-me...is-t14306.html

Was just wondering if this looks like a fair price? What are some common problems to look out for when I go take a look at it?

Looks like a pretty laid back forum

Thanks!
    Soon to own 82' Grand Marq
    93 Rodeo-Superwinch hubs,Indy4x 3" lift, HD tie rods, SS brake lines,DOR diff drops,UB Skidders, Procomp ES 3000's
    31" BFG A/T's

for 600 bux? id buy it in a second!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
      for 600 bux? id buy it in a second!
      That's what I'm thinking.
      93 Rodeo-Superwinch hubs,Indy4x 3" lift, HD tie rods, SS brake lines,DOR diff drops,UB Skidders, Procomp ES 3000's
      31" BFG A/T's

Comment

Ooooh and its two tone too..Get it.
        R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
        Originally posted by MeanVic84
        Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

hell yea man, the early cars are getting pretty rare and that one looks to be in pretty good shape. Watch for frame rot, but other than that, just look over what you would on any used car. these cars tend to be pretty reliable when taken care of, and this one appears to have been fairly well kept.
          Nick
          88 Colony Park LS
          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Rust in bumpers (and inner structure) and rust in the trunk lid lip is very common, even on non-rusty cars. Rust also gets in the floor pan seams on non-rusty cars. Check the frame for rust. Most common spots are up under the A/C stuff under the hood and in the back near the lower control arms.

Make sure the tranny shifts fine, there is a small bushing up on the carburetor that attaches a rod going down to the transmission to the carb linkage. Make sure the rod is attached to the carb. Fluid should be nice and red and not smell burnt.

The Variable Venturi carb causes most people difficulty because very few people know how to tune it, and by the time it is 25 years old it usually needs attention.

Working Power Locks/Windows are good. Not nessesarily hard to fix, but not always cheap (depending on what is wrong).

Make sure the electronics haven't been butchered. If it has automatic climate control, pray that it works correctly.

Not sure of the year range, but some cars got a plastic timing gear which can break up and clog the oil pickup. Look in the valve cover and make sure it's clean, black gunk is bad.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Ooo also check for water leaks. The carpet being wet would be a very good indicator. Also, the heater should not produce a sweet smell when you turn it on, if it does you have heater core issues (not easy to replace).

Paint/Vinyl Top look a little aged. My car was actually leaking water in around the crown moulding before I converted to slicktop.

Here's a pic of the bushing I was talking about, it's kind of orange/brown on my car and it's installed backwards (tell Ford, they did it that way). They are usually white (aged to off white) or black. Or it could have been replaced with a brass one (a good thing).
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

nice for 600 although i do perfer sefi

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Cool car for 600!
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Damn that's a purdy one...

sigpic
                    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll let you know how things check out.
                      31" BFG A/T's

Comment

Factory-carbed Panthers FTW! Guy was originally asking that for my rust-heap '79. If it's in OK shape, or even if you think you can live with it, I'd do it!!

I'm not for sure which carb would be on there. If it looks like a regular carburetor, it's a 2100-series, which is good. If it has little curved doors for inlets, it's a VV - and if the VV carb is gonzo, we have a member who's actually rebuilt one ... Or if you can get a 2100/2150 cheap, it's a bolt-on. Or save up for a four-barrel.
                        Last edited by 1987cp; 01-24-2008, 02:42 PM.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp
                          and if the VV carb is gonzo, we have a member who's actually rebuilt one ...
                          lol

You guys make it sound like rocket science; it's seriously NOT THAT HARD!

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Definately worth $600, get it, get it!!
                            1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                            1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                            1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
                              lol

You guys make it sound like rocket science; it's seriously NOT THAT HARD!
                              Well, considering what happened when I rebuilt a 2100 .... :p
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X