Introduce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduce

I joined not that long ago and didnt even introduce myself. My name is Blaze and I live in Missouri. I recently decided to take on my grandparents 90 Grand Marquis. They passed away in 2000 and it has been sitting most of the time ever since, in and out of the garage. I put a new battery in it and drove it to the Oil change garage, 2 blocks away to get the oil changed. It wasnt until I tried to leave town with it that I discovered it doesnt shift out of second gear. It will just wind out second and when you take your foot off the gas, its like neutral. It doesnt even engine brake in that gear. You can feel it try to go in Overdrive, but it is like neutral when it does. I guess the transmission is shot. I think at one point the little cable fell out of the bushing and damaged the trans before they noticed. I faintly remember something to that effect, but cannot be sure. Other than that it is a very clean car.

Blaze

Welcome!

Yep, sounds like your AOD fell victim to the bad TV cable bushing; very common way for them to go, unfortunately. Time to rebuild, and make sure that bushing gets replaced with a new brass one! The original is plastic, and it goes to pieces after awhile, then the cable falls off and the tranny is fried quite quickly. Undoubtedly that's what happened here.

Sorry I don't have better news for you, mang. Anyway, though, we're glad to have you aboard!

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I think that is what happened to it. I remember something with the trans in 96, because thats when they bought their Town Car. Anyhow, I am going to take it Monday to get it rebuilt. They said it will take about 4 days and they will replace the bushing with the new one. It still has the plastic one. Other than a finicky climate control the car is ok. I think they drive good and the seats sit good. Pretty cool car.

Blaze

Comment

whaaa....Two blazes now!......
        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

its another member from Mizzooruh... welcome to the site.
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Does the 84 have the same bushing?
            And if so how hard is it to change and adjust?
            sigpicwww.myspace.com/reverendrevival

Comment

yep sounds like the tv bushing crumbled.......welcome to gmn! can you put your location in your avatar so we know where you are and who is close that can help you

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                yep sounds like the tv bushing crumbled.......welcome to gmn! can you put your location in your avatar so we know where you are and who is close that can help you
                Done

Comment

Except that he really is Blaze, where I'm just a poser LOL!

Welcome aboard Blaze!

Comment

but you will always be known as the original "Johnny Blaze" not a poser.

a 1984 doesnt have the bushing that goes bad. the bushings that go bad started in 1987 to the beginning part of 1992 if i remember.
                    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

welcome mang

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic View Post
                        but you will always be known as the original "Johnny Blaze" not a poser.

a 1984 doesnt have the bushing that goes bad. the bushings that go bad started in 1987 to the beginning part of 1992 if i remember.
                        Sweet. I started to worry.

Comment

It most certainly does, Jim. The TV rod has the same exact bushing in it that the TV cable does. FoMoCo PN for the brass one is F3SZ-7H303-B.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Now as for the location of the bastard bushing is it on the tranny where the tv rod connects or on the throttle assembly?

Comment

its another member from Mizzooruh... welcome to the site.
                              Actually it's pronounced "Mizz-er-uh"

And Blaze to GMN.
                              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                              X