Small Block Windsor Full Length Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Block Windsor Full Length Headers

I know this has been asked and answered before but I just cant find it. Does anyone have or know where to purchase prefabricated full length headers for early to late 80's panthers? I'm running an AOD and aftermarket heads and they do have the OE straight header bolt pattern. If someone (God forbid) spent the 1100 some dollars to have custom headers fabricated and they perform, I could use a refference for custom work. I need a minimum 1 3/4 inch primary. Shorties are my last resort and yes I know all the woes of longs vs. shorties and exhaust velocities and scavenging and backpressure issues. Your educated input would be much appreciated.

No one makes long tubes that fit panther bodies. However, Colin (Mr. Land Yacht) has a buddy that took a set made for a Mustang and made them fit a '90-'91 Crown Vic. They'd need to be done a bit differently to fit the '79-'89 bodies (yes, they are slightly different), but if you're dead set on long tubes, you might talk to the guy and see if you can't work something out.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Duceandahalf has also modified some mid length headers to fit.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

why would you want to go thru the hassle of long tubes? get some decennt shorty headers for a mustang and an x pipe

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what on earth are you building? I see a couple posts from you recently and it seems you've got something in the works.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87CrownVic View Post
            I need a minimum 1 3/4 inch primary.
            You are aware of the availability of 1 3/4" primary shorties, correct? These will support well over 600HP.

Comment

Originally posted by 87CrownVic View Post
              I know this has been asked and answered before but I just cant find it. Does anyone have or know where to purchase prefabricated full length headers for early to late 80's panthers? I'm running an AOD and aftermarket heads and they do have the OE straight header bolt pattern. If someone (God forbid) spent the 1100 some dollars to have custom headers fabricated and they perform, I could use a refference for custom work. I need a minimum 1 3/4 inch primary. Shorties are my last resort and yes I know all the woes of longs vs. shorties and exhaust velocities and scavenging and backpressure issues. Your educated input would be much appreciated.
              Ford Powertrain Applications http://www.fordpowertrain.com/ (preferred, they might send you some test-fit headers provided you pay shipping...)
              Bassani
              Accufab

Comment

Yeah, I'd like to see what you have planned, since its going to be undoubtedly bigger/higher power than anything at this site so far...

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                  You are aware of the availability of 1 3/4" primary shorties, correct? These will support well over 600HP.
                  but they'll rob 7hp over a set of longtubes...
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    but they'll rob 7hp over a set of longtubes...
                    ZOMG!! You're right!!!!!! And that's just the unequal length long tubes... imagine how much they rob over a set of equal length long tubes..........

Comment

If I were given the choice between $300 shorty headers and $600 long tubes, I'd buy the long tubes. I just like the way they look better, and the fact that they bring the exhaust under the car, making it easier to fabricate and continue the exhaust system. Shortys necessitate front pipes (may have to be custome bent), etc. They're cheaper, and will probably be just as effective for most engines, but I like the longtubes.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                        If I were given the choice between $300 shorty headers and $600 long tubes, I'd buy the long tubes. I just like the way they look better, and the fact that they bring the exhaust under the car, making it easier to fabricate and continue the exhaust system. Shortys necessitate front pipes (may have to be custome bent), etc. They're cheaper, and will probably be just as effective for most engines, but I like the longtubes.
                        Unless you are using flex pipe or trying to use pipes without a single bend, it isn't any easier to use long tubes. The ease of fitment with short tubes and the additional clearance that you commonly have actually makes it easier to fabricate pipes for short tubes...
                        You can put them wherever you want. You loose ground clearance commonly with long tube headers....
                        Not too many people willing to spend $600 on headers for their Panther on this board....

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                          Unless you are using flex pipe or trying to use pipes without a single bend, it isn't any easier to use long tubes. The ease of fitment with short tubes and the additional clearance that you commonly have actually makes it easier to fabricate pipes for short tubes...
                          You can put them wherever you want. You loose ground clearance commonly with long tube headers....
                          Not too many people willing to spend $600 on headers for their Panther on this board....

I'm not trying to argue about this. If I put long tubes on a car, yes, I may lose ground clearance. But, all I have to do is get some reducers, and pipe, and I have an exhaust (dumped under the car). I don't have to bend anything. Some reducers welded on some pipe, some extensions, mufflers, and dumps. Done.

Shortys require a front pipe that you may be able to buy (if one is made for your app). But, it may have to be custom bent, etc, etc.

Longtubes for me all day long if given the choice.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                            If I put long tubes on a car, yes, I may lose ground clearance. But, all I have to do is get some reducers, and pipe, and I have an exhaust (dumped under the car).
                            That is fine for a summer hot rod, but a daily winter driver needs exhaust out the back as CO sucks........
                            That is my personal preference and choice...... to each his own.....

Comment

Why do you need exhaust out the back for winter? Ive had dumps and sidepipes hook up to long tubes in northern Indiana with out any problems.
                              1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                              2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X