need advice on AOD governor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need advice on AOD governor

I'm looking to improve the '88 since the new engine/trans combo has given me a much better point to work off of. Currently using the stock AOD governor. WOT shifts are at 4400 RPMs. 1st gear is fine, however, 2nd and 3rd gears seems to fall a little flat until higher RPMs are reached. Yes, I know that's just a characteristic of the H.O. cam. The TV pressure has been played with plenty of times and the trans seems to be very touchy as to where it is set.

Here is what the '88's current set-up is: HO 302, Thumper Performance heads, dual exhaust, wide-ratio AOD w/HP shift kit, 3.55 gears.

I have three options that I can consider:
    1. Keep the stock governor and change something else,
    2. Get a Mustang governor,
    3. Use the parts from the HP shift kit and rebuild current governor.

I'd like some input as to which route I should take and why. Main goal at this point is get the engine into a better RPM range between shifts to cut out those "flat" spots.

use the hp kit parts if you have them, or get the mustang governor.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

brian used the stock govenor.......cause you didnt want over 5k wot shifts......i think it's 5 grand with the ho govenor and 5200 with the hp kit parts.....5200 wot is fine, use the parts you have mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Actually, I'd go stock stang then...

Comment

Don't stock HO motors get valve floats at like 4800rpm or something? How do you change that? I wouldn't want it to rev much higher then that if that's true.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
            Don't stock HO motors get valve floats at like 4800rpm or something? How do you change that? I wouldn't want it to rev much higher then that if that's true.
            Valve float can be cured with better springs.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

What do you mean by better, like stiffer or what?
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Stiffer, or double, or triple springs. Springs start to fatigue under high vibration (opening and closing fast), which leads to "valve float." The springs lose their effectiveness. A better spring would be stiffer, or more commonly it would be a spring within a spring (double). Or a spring within a spring, within a spring (triple). That improves the durbaility of the spring, and extends its usable RPM range by decreaing the fatigue and deflection in the spring.
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Just because the valves aren't floating does not mean the motor is making any power up there.... My car shifts too high. I gotta lower the shift points a little bit. It shifts right at the rev limiter at 6250 rpm...Sometimes it'll hit the limiter before shifting.

Comment

Thats not what I intended to convey at all. He asked how you can fix valve float, and I explained.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                      brian used the stock govenor.......cause you didnt want over 5k wot shifts......i think it's 5 grand with the ho govenor and 5200 with the hp kit parts.....5200 wot is fine, use the parts you have mang
                      I remember. At the time I figured it was better to go that route 'cause I was going to keep S.U. in a DD status. Plans changed. Also, I'm putting the under drive pulley on soon, so I figure that will take some stress off the engine's accessories at the higher RPMs.

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                      Valve float can be cured with better springs.
                      IIRC, the Thumper heads I bought have the double springs, so I'm not expecting any real issues with the higher RPMs.

Haven't decided which way to go, yet (Mustang governor or use the HP parts). I think what I need to do is get S.U. out on the road for a day and see how much of an RPM increase I'm gonna need.

Thanks for the help, fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                        Thats not what I intended to convey at all. He asked how you can fix valve float, and I explained.
                        I am well aware, just adding that tidbit...

Comment

Working...
                        X