Revamping the Daily Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revamping the Daily Driver

I have been reading around on the caraudio.com forum tonight looking for the best way to upgrade the speakers in my daily driver. The car is a ford probe and currently it has a blaupunkt kingston head unit and some old, cheap blaupunkt speakers, one of which has croaked. No subs or amplifier. I have a pair of 6.5's in the doors and 6x9's in the rear and I am thinking of upgrading to a pair of good 6.5's up front and losing the rear speakers in favor of a small subwoofer and amp, probably a single 12".

The speakers I have in mind for the doors are the ever-recommended Pioneer REV TS-D161R. The other moderately priced pair I was looking at are Phoenix Gold RSd 65's. I want to run those with just my head unit and re-use my blaupunkt speakers in the rear until I have the money//come across the right sub and amp.

Am I heading in the right direction? I don't need a ton of bass or have hundreds to spend but this combination should be better than what I have currently if I did my reading right.
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

I'd keep the 6x9's in the rear. You'll like the sound quality much more than a sub. This will keep the surround effect in the car. No rear speakers, a.k.a. a sub, would throw that whole balance off.

Pioneers are a little more trebley than some of the other brands out there. Good speakers, no doubt about it. But if you want a little more power in the factory slots go Sony. Granted, their subs aren't the greatest... but the factory size speakers are great. People tend to say Sony sucks due to the headunits and subs... so naturally people think the factory location speakers do too. Not true.

I'd look into the Sony's. Pioneers are good... but they have too much treble. Phoenix I've never heard of. Stick with the well known brands.
    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Yes, definitely, stick with the name-brand things. I, too, would also keep the rear speakers. I've tried listening to mine with just the front speakers and the sub, and it sounded horrible.

A good single 12" WILL put out tons of bass. The JL W3v2 sub I had was rediculous.

Comment

Working...
      X