new crown with probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new crown with probs

i just bought my first crown victoria, a 1996, and i have a few problems. first, the brakes suck, they don't make any noise but when i push them it doesn't want to stop very quick. could this be a booster or just pads and rotors.
    next the steering is hard and doesn't return to center. is this ball joints?
    thanks in advance

troy
    Last edited by tssievert; 02-13-2008, 12:12 AM.

What year Vic are we talking about?

If the booster is failed, you should have an excessively hard pedal feel but in theory you should have OK braking performance if you can push the pedal hard enough. Personally, I'm not sure I'm strong enough to do that. Normally Vic brake pedals squish down a little bit before the braking begins. I believe Fox body cars were the same way. Have you conducted a visual inspection of the braking components?

Steering wheel off-center is normal ... when you need an alignment. The stock power steering booster is pretty powerful, so if it's at all difficult to turn the wheel there's probably a hydraulic failure. How's the p/s fluid level look?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Its a '96
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
        Its a '96
        Ah, so the post does say '96. Sorry, tssievert!

Comment

I'd check the brakes and see what kind of shape pads are in. Pad material does have a lot t odo with stopping power also, some decent semi metallics would work well.

Bushings, ball joints, all can effect the steering. Also a wasted pump would make it a bit hard to steer.
          What kind of vic is is? Old interceptor, civilian?
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

its an interceptor. does anyone have any good ideas on how to plug the hole in the roof so it actually looks good? how about the holes from the spotlight? is there any places to get parts for the spotlight?
            thanks

Comment

interceptor will more than likely need EVERYTHING replaced. Then again, any 10+ year old car generally needs everything replaced.

No idea on the plugs though
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Well, the best solution for any hole in the body is obviously to weld in a patch and paint it.... short of that, I want to say I've heard of there being plugs made for that purpose. There's a website called something like fordpolicecars.com ... I'll have to look it up again.

Comment

it was the u joint in the steering shaft. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tssievert View Post
                    its an interceptor. does anyone have any good ideas on how to plug the hole in the roof so it actually looks good? how about the holes from the spotlight? is there any places to get parts for the spotlight?
                    thanks
                    For the spotlight, check ebay. You can get the lamp for cheap (no more than 50 shipped), but you'll have to do some searching for the mounting bracket (maybe AW Direct would have them; google them). You may be able to find the bracket on ebay too though. I used to have brackets for the aero body cars... but since I never owned an aero, I tossed them all.

As for the holes... I had four on my car. I did not repair the one in the trunk (antenna), or the one on the drivers side b pillar (light bar). I went to my local auto body supply house and bought some spiffy body plugs. They fit tight so no water leaks in. It was easier than trying to weld them up and get them flat enough to look good under the new paint. The others I welded a plug in (one was on the top of the rear quarter panel, and was a real peach). Grind it down, and smooth it with a little filler. No problems.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                    X