351 Windsor build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

351 Windsor build

Ok i have to yank the 351 out of my 80 ltd 2dr, since it has a spun bearing, runs but knocks relly bad, so i will be rebuilding the motor, just curious what is the best cam i can put in? and how would the stock heads work if i did a port and pollish on them, i found a 4 v intake at a locoal yard that i will be grabbing soon to, and ill be putting my gear drive in..

Something with 590* duration and 200" lift....

Really need a bit more info on what you want out of the motor, and what heads and intake you are thinking of using.

Don't need much more than a stock cam for stock heads and a stock intake.

Porting the stock heads will help a little bit, but some cheap used GT40's or E7's would be a better starting point...
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

well the 4V intake im getting is just a factory windsor intake off a cube van. i'd like to build it to have some good power but not hurt my wallet at the same time, ill probly get a new oil pump and shaft for it to, should i get i high volume pump, or would a stock one be just as good?

Comment

that factory 4v intake is a turd

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yeah, those factory intakes suck pretty hard if you really want to make it perform. They work fine on stock heads, which also suck fairly hard. The stock cam compliments the suck combination fairly well. I don't mean to sound all down on you or anything but if you really want to make a performer out of it, you're gonna need to make the top end breathe better than stock components. What are your goals with this, similar but slightly better than factory, race car, weekend warrior, something else ?
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

well its just going to be my summer car, just looking to get a bit more power out of it

Comment

stick with a stock oil pump. There is no need for any more volume or pressure. And from what I've been hearing- stay away from melling pumps.

You might want to just lurk around ebay and CL and some other forums and see what you can find cheap for heads and an intake. It's really not gonna be much better with those stock parts. E7 heads minimum.

Comment

Factory 351W 4V intakes are not the best intake out there, but they can get the job done. The off-road truck guys in some classes are stuck with it. They make some good power. How much is that intake? Does it cost alot extra to have parts shipped into Canada from the US? You personally doing a home port job isn't ideal. What is your budget for heads?

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                  stick with a stock oil pump. There is no need for any more volume or pressure. And from what I've been hearing- stay away from melling pumps.
                  I have never had a problem with Melling.....

Comment

but ed melling might be outsourcing to china now......i also did not have a problem with autolite spark plugs until recently

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                      that factory 4v intake is a turd
                      Is that the 351 HO intake, or something else?
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

yes the 80's truck 4v intake.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                          but ed melling might be outsourcing to china now......i also did not have a problem with autolite spark plugs until recently
                          What problems have you had with Autolite? What are the reported Melling issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                            What problems have you had with Autolite? What are the reported Melling issues?

Go over to corral.... There are incidents popping up everywhere... Even a local guy to me had his pump just lock up on his brand new motor.

I had never heard or had any issues with melling either, until the last month or so.

Comment

The only time I saw pumps lock up is when someone had shit in their motor and it jammed teh pump

Comment

Working...
                              X