• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

most 92-98 Panther recall

my=model year

NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: 08V051000 </STRONG>
    Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:CRUISE CONTROL
    Details: FORD IS RECALLING 225,000 MY 1992-2003 ECONOLINE, MY 1993-1995 TAURUS SHO, MY 1992-1998 CROWN VICTORIA, MY 1993 BRONCO, F-SERIES, MY 1995-1997 F-SERIES SUPER DUTY STRIPPED CHASSIS, MY 1992-1998 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS, AND MY 1992-1995 LINCOLN TOWN CAR VEHICLES. THE AFFECTED VEHICLES WERE PREVIOUSLY REPAIRED USING A WIRING HARNESS THAT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE VEHICLE CIRCUIT POLARITY.

Consequence: AS A RESULT, THE FUSE IS LOCATED IN THE OUTPUT CIRCUIT RATHER THAN IN THE INTENDED INPUT POWER FEED CIRCUIT, AND MAY NOT OFFER THE INTENDED PROTECTION IN THE EVENT OF AN ELECTRICAL SHORT TO GROUND.
    Corrective Action: DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW WIRING HARNESS, OR REPLACE THE MATING ELECTRICAL COMPONENT. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.
    Units Potentially Affected: 225000 Recall Initiated By: MFR
    Date added to NHTSA datbase: 02/04/2008
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

A friend of my dad that has an F-150 went to get this fixed. All the dealer did was cut the wires to the cruise control and try to get him to trade in his truck for a new one.
    1998 Crown Victoria P71: Former National Institiute of Health vehicle
    1974 VW Beetle

Comment

We got a letter from ford Back in November or some shit. They disconnected the fucking thing and said that they don't have the speed sensor more would come in January. January came and went, no speed sensor. February they said next, still no fucking sensor.
      We'll probably never get the part, they disconnected it to cover their asses.

Comment

i got the first letter last year, i disconnected the connector on my own, a few weeks ago i got the second letter saying that the local dealer is now handling the recalls. im not going since the connector os just a backup to shut off the cruise control.
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

My dad came up with a fix for it. He's going to put a fuse in the cruise control somewhere (I don't know exactly where as electrical stuff is his piece of pie and not mine) so that if something goes wrong, the fuse will blow and shut the cruise control down.
          1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury93 View Post
            My dad came up with a fix for it. He's going to put a fuse in the cruise control somewhere (I don't know exactly where as electrical stuff is his piece of pie and not mine) so that if something goes wrong, the fuse will blow and shut the cruise control down.
            that's what they should have done in the first place.

Comment

reading this stuff makes me glad i didnt bother bringing my '94 M75 in for the recall

Comment

Mines a 1999 And I dont have cruise control.
                YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

im trying my luck it hasnt had an issue in the past 14 yrs

Comment

I agree. It's lasted this long. I doubt it'll blow.
                    1974 VW Beetle

Comment

merc93 looks like from ur pic we have identically optioned cars but mines a yr newer. my car should within the next 2 months hit the 186000mi mark which i heard equates to 300000km. burns a quart of oil every 1000mi but otherwise runs like new. do you know where to get replacement seats my drivers seat is falling apart

Comment

For the seat, you could either try your luck at a junkyard or you-pull-it or see if your dealer has one. My car has almost 102,000 on the clock.
                        1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury93 View Post
                          I agree. It's lasted this long. I doubt it'll blow.
                          Yeah, that's what a lot of people thought. Then one day the thing bursts into flames. I just heard about it yesterday on the news.

Comment

1998+ panthers aren't effected as the SCDS is not a pressure switch, rather a momentary switch inside the car on the brake pedal cage, near the BOO switch.

Though for some reason unlisted, the '96-'97 Town Cars use the same switch mounted on the side of the master cylinder like '96-'97 CV/GMQ and should also be recalled to have the inline fuse installed.
                            -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                            My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                            Modifications
                            Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Got a letter in the mail today from Ford saying that they had replacement parts ready. I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow to see if they can actually fix it instead of just cutting a wire and calling it a fix.
                              1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Working...
                              X