Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailgate and Locking it

Ok so my wagon has no power locks...
    And i can locke the 4 doors manually, but when i push down the lock plunger for the tailgate i can still open the door.. Even if i try to lock it with the key??

welcome to the world of tailgate locks. the first thing you have to do is take the panel out then take the little steel panel off that is held on by 3 screws. then you need a good penatrant and soak the crap out of the lock assebaly. then play with all the moving pats i.e: lock plunger, key... the spray it again then let it sit for a bit, then soak it with a good lube. this ahs always worked for me on all three wagons. if it dont work for you you might have to change the unit. does this happen when its cold?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I have a 91 CP with the power tailgate lock and power window. There are four positions on the keyhole. If you go one click to the left or right from center, it either locks or unlocks the door. If you go two clicks to the left or right, it either rolls up or rolls down the window.

All of a sudden, about a month ago, the first click to the left just disappeared (the one that unlocks the door without rolling the window down), and in order to get the door to unlock, I have to roll the window down slightly. The other side of the keyhole (right once for lock, right twice for window up) works fine.

Also, the power locks will lock the tailgate just fine, but won't push the plunger far enough up to unlock it, even though I replaced the actuator for it about six months ago.

So, for all these ailments, marquisman, would you suggest what you described above? Judging by your car history, you certainly seem to be a wagon guru.

Thanks!
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

One winter right after a freeze I tore the handle off my tailgate trying to get into the car. Pretty sure it doesn't lock at all right now, but I don't try anyway because the lock cylinder is out and has been for some time. Next tailgate project for me is probably replacing the bad window regulator with the one I harvested from my '79 wagon before it went byebye.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The tailgate has to be fully closed tight. Make sure
          all mechanisms are clicked shut. My upper striker is missing the plastic ring. I have to put the window down
          and slam the tailgate to make sure he top mechanism clicks shut. If it isn't, the tailgate won't lock.
          WagonMan
          89 Colony Park
          90 Colony Park
          70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

this is what i was trying to explain on my post, everything must function smoothly, the main lock mechinism has a spring that seems to get a lil tired overtime.

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
              I have a 91 CP with the power tailgate lock and power window. There are four positions on the keyhole. If you go one click to the left or right from center, it either locks or unlocks the door. If you go two clicks to the left or right, it either rolls up or rolls down the window.
              Wonder if this can be added to an 85. Mine does the window and lock at same time...
              2000 Grand Marquis LS
              2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
              1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
              Mercury Owners Group member
              Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

then yours has it my dads 88, 85 and my 88 are all the same, turn to the right to lock and turn all the way the window goes up, turn the key to the left you unlock and turn all the way to the left the window goes down. most wagons are like this

Comment

Mine must not work right then, there is no difference in window open and lock
                  2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

some time the plungerswitch fails or gets miss alighned.

Comment

Will have to tear it apart and check

any pics of it?
                      2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
                      X