tow rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tow rating

quastion: what is the max tow rating on a panther wagon?
    88 crown vic lx 5.0:3gears:gone but not forgotten
    now a 99 MGM

gone crazy: be back soon?

5,000 pounds according to my 89 brochure. My car is setup to tow has the towing package. It will tow 5000 pounds but you have to set it up for 5000. for example what type of hitch you have on it. like my car can olny tow 2000 pounds because I have a class 1 hitch witch is only good for up to 2000 pounds.

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

mind you the 5000 rating is with the tow package. basically that consists of a 3.55 rear, a heavier duty driveshaft (which isn't of primary concern), a trans cooler, and a power steering cooler. the trans cooler will be the most important part of this. don't expect to tow heavy loads without one unless you like baked transmissions. the stock trans cooler is actually pretty small, any aftermarket one will do a better job. the smallest one i've seen at advance was about double the size of the factory piece.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thanks for the info. is that 5000 lbs load carring or equilizing. the reson i'm asking is i'm thinking of selling my suburban and getting a panther wagon, but i'm going to need something to tow with, for a new buissness i'm starting. i'm tierd of a manual trans and bumpy ride. i want more comfort. i love the ride of my wifes 88 cv lx
        now a 99 MGM

Comment

Load carrying.

You will need to upgrade springs or get air shocks if you want to get near 5000 lbs. And the transmission will never hold up towing that much for any length of time. New, maybe, but not after years of use.

I tow 3000 with mine, went 4 hours straight with no problems except anything over 55 killed the gas mileage. at 55 I got 12mpg, at 65 I got 8mpg.

And stay out of overdrive.
          2000 Grand Marquis LS
          2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
          1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
          Mercury Owners Group member
          Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

thats what i was thinking. i plan on towing cars (on an auto dolly) and just needed a to know weight limits. looks like a trailer is out.
            now a 99 MGM

Comment

a dolly will do you fine, thats what i use

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I've hauled a towncar with my towncar. towing was ok, stopping, less so. make sure your braking system is in top shape before doing this.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i drove.....it was no fun stopping......thought i was gonna crash galactica a couple times

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

i work for a rental co. i have had my fair share of close calls and 1 mishap. the key thing to remember is slow down, leave lots of room, and stay alert fores. big brake up grade will happen if i go this way. i'm also thinking about a van.(ford)
                    now a 99 MGM

Comment

Don't forget to read The Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy at TTAC (the truth about cars):

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/edi...ng-conspiracy/
                      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Well I'll be towing 4000lbs in one week! I got my car trailer and the Vic is all wired up. I'll report back how it does on the trip. I also did get load levelers as well so I will be using those on the trip, hopefully this prevents me from having to change the rear springs. However keep in mind I do have the upgrade rear drums, 98-02 front brakes, extreme springs that were intended for the track, and a 5 speed manual with a 5.0L HO.

Comment

That manual tranny is your only real weak link, but you should be fine. You, I am sure, have used only High performance parts in your build.

Stock stuff just won't last..
                          2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark View Post
                            That manual tranny is your only real weak link, but you should be fine. You, I am sure, have used only High performance parts in your build.

Stock stuff just won't last..
                            That T5 trans was free! With an unsure 100-150K miles on it. LOL! Manual transmissions are pretty reliable. I doubt that I'll be overdoing the torque load. As long as I shift it smooth a treat it nice it should hold up fine.

Comment

Did you use a good clutch?

The main stress is the clutch slippage.

But you also have the jerking that goes on with a trailer, can cause the transmission gears to wear and break. The solid connnect of the clutch transfers all the jerking right through the gears.
                              2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
                              X