Subwoofer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subwoofer question

I have 2 12" Orion Xtr's putting out 500W apiece, As of now after i fix my speaker problem im thinking of putting a new amp in right now i have some generic Nitro 1000w amp could I go more so it hits harder?

you need to match the RMS watts of the subs to the RMS watts of the amp. any more amp will only make them distort.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Not really true I could use way more power and not have speakers disort. I have ran a single JL 8w6( capable of handling 300 watts) with over 500 w and had no problem. Distortion is commonly known as clipping when the amplifier is cutting off the tops of the sound waves, causing distortion. It is way bad for a speaker. Distortion is what idiots think is music around here. plus speakers do not have RMS which is power output speaker do not have power output. They have power handling. To get bass you do not have to match the power handling of a speaker.

Tim
      2000 Ford Crown Victoria
      84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
      85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
      89 Lincoln town car: RIP
      89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
      1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
      2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Look for an amp with a good, high current power supply. Run at least a 1 farad cap if you're not running one now. Also, check damping numbers when comparing similar amps. The more power, the better. More power = lower chance of clipping. Watch your VC temps, though...

Comment

Originally posted by over2tonsofFun View Post
          Not really true I could use way more power and not have speakers disort. I have ran a single JL 8w6( capable of handling 300 watts) with over 500 w and had no problem. ...... plus speakers do not have RMS which is power output speaker do not have power output. They have power handling. To get bass you do not have to match the power handling of a speaker.

Tim

Then why do speakers have an RMS rating on the box??? Amp are rated with RMS power outputs, and speakers are rated with RMS power "handling"...
          These ratings are what the speaker can handle without distortion - these are the laws of physics... your personal experiences have probably miseld you.
          Sure you can use a more powerfull amp than what a sub is rated for - you just cant deliver its full power, or it will distort after a certain point.
          And sure you can "get bass" without matching power ratings, but this person is asking about finding an amp thats a good match for his subs.
          Like I said, to make sure you get the most out of your subs, you match RMS ratings - anymore power will go to waste, unless of course you are planning to upgrade. Or unless you can use a 4ohm load instead of a 2 or 1 ohm load, in which case you will get even less distortion.

A more powerfull amp is not going to give him any more bass that his $$$ will notice, unless he is using a gawd awefull amp. Now, a better amp of the same power just may... but this is a whole 'nother discussion.
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

His original question was:

...could I go more so it hits harder?
            If you have a Nitro amp, they commonly list the power rating right on the chassis. Problem is, this is MAX power and not continuous (RMS). The Orion subs are rated at RMS so you are severely under driving those subs, which isn't too bad as long as you're careful with the volume/gain. You have around 200-300W RMS according to Nitro's specs. So, yes, if you get a better quality amp with more power it will hit harder, and sound better, too (I am an SQ guy, not SPL )

85crownHPP, you have a PM :smirk:
            Last edited by torquelover; 03-11-2008, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Well yes, if thats a max rating on the amp and RMS on the subs, you could stand to have some more amp. I was assuming those were both RMS values, since those are the only ones worth comparing.
              I like SQ too tight bass is no good if the rest of the frequencies arent as powerful and crisp.
              sigpic

Comment

RMS is max that a sub will handle on a test bench. Like a 200w booster, with a 14 guage power wire. physically impossible. RMS power is just that rated power. that is why they came up with the new grading system for amps

You actually answered your own question, speakers have a rating not a power output. Which is what was stated. You can distort a speaker being run at RMS just as well as any other way. It is they way the amp is set. It is better to have more head room for better sound output.
                Why if you would get the best sound out of a system when everything is matched. The winningest car in Car audio, Richard Clark's Grand National where it is running 6 speakers with 6 amps each with a 1500w RMS, Alpine 3545.

Tim
                2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Are you referring to CEA-2006-A or is there a new testing protocol?

IIRC Richard Clark once said the best sounding car he had ever heard had just three speakers: A set of components and a sub. Ken Pohlman backed this up as well, way back in the day.

Comment

Working...
                  X