need help, diagnose problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help, diagnose problem

hello all, i'm new here, just got my car and already a problem. some times when i put my car (02 sport) into reverse it dies on me and the check engine light comes on, had happened 4-5 times in 4days. anyone know why this might be? most of the time i have been in park and went to reverse, seems maybe the belt loosens, (if thats possible?) or the rpms (no tac) go way down?

An '02 vehicle will have OBDII; have you gone to your local AutoZone and asked them to scan your trouble codes?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

hmm, that is wierd....Must ponder longer.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        An '02 vehicle will have OBDII; have you gone to your local AutoZone and asked them to scan your trouble codes?
        no, not yet, but i was thinking if i couldnt figure it out thats what i'd do.

Comment

Yeah, I'd definitely suggest it. Not sure about anyone else, but I'm not sure what to make of your symptoms. Should be impossible for a belt of any sort to loosen just because you put the car in Reverse, but RPMs dropping more than they should I can imagine happening. Only thing my brain's coming up with is the Idle Air Control valve, but that should cause funkiness any time the engine is allowed to idle.

Comment

thanks, i think i will just replace it to make sure. if it happenes again then i'll have the codes read.

Comment

When you put your car into reverse the RPM will always drop a couple hundred RPM. Check for vacumm leaks
              R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
              Originally posted by MeanVic84
              Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

I agree with the vacuum leak. Use a slightly flammable liquid like WD-40. If your RPM's increase you JUST sprayed the area with the vacuum leak.

Comment

Originally posted by tosc View Post
                  thanks, i think i will just replace it to make sure. if it happenes again then i'll have the codes read.
                  Kind of a pointless way to spend ~$70 if yours isn't bad, though.

Comment

thanks for all the help. has not done it since i posted. did do anything, maybe some condensation got in the sensor or something?

Comment

Funky. This would definitely be a good time to get the friendly guys at Auto Zone to read your codes so you can ponder over them without stressing so much over the weird behavior.

Comment

Working...
                      X