air ride question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air ride question

I'm considering buying or trading for a 94 Continental with air ride suspension. I realize this isn't a Continental forum, but I know the air ride appears on the Town Cars...I had a 91 TC with a leaky system. I don't know much about these setups, other than they leak. could I swap in a conventional rear suspension if the air ride goes out on this car? or, is it just a car/feature to avoid altogether?
    05 Crown Victoria
    88 Grand Marquis

if you wanted to put springs in, i belive there are kits avail and i think that chassis is also used for the taurus/sabe witch has springs and struts like the conti. i know of a couple continentals that still have good working air bags.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I'd imagine it would be able to be swapped over. But I'm not too familiar with that chassis.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

The air ride is the least of your worries with that car. Parts are cheap, and readily available. The transaxle on the other hand...

Comment

From what I understand the bags mainly start to dry rot and leak over time but when they do you replace them. Now I've seen a few Continentals with a droopy rears, but a lot of people seem really unnecessarily apprehensive about the setup.
          sigpic
          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

those things are disasters. They make coil spring conversions for them, but you'd really be doing yourself a favor to avoid it. The transmissions are known to go, and it costs more to replace one than the car is usually worth. the dashboards go funky, all the electronic displays will start cutting in and out eventually. the motors pop head gaskets, especially if they haven't had regular coolant changes.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

horrible cars

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

thanks a lot for the info guys. i've heard about the electrical problems you mentioned...i really don't need that in my life right now.

appreciate the feedback!
                05 Crown Victoria
                88 Grand Marquis

Comment

lets just say that the 88-up continental has given me many a migraine.....and i'm a mechanic i think

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah we got a 91 Conti up at school with a leaked air suspension all around so it's totally bottomed out basically sitting on the tires. Got the 3.8L V6 with a leaky exhaust so it sounds like a ricer. That cars has tons of problems, it's on the same platform as the Taurus, avoid it.
                    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Never knew those cars were so horrible, come to think of it my neighbor had one that started giving him shit and he ditched for an 80's cavalier wagon and was tons happier.
                      sigpic
                      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

shame, they're nice cars but once they start coming apart its just a giant headache. They make useful electric fan donors though
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X