Power antenna replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power antenna replacement

So Long story but i was fucking around and my buddy had jumper cables+ me flying around a parkinglot with vicky and my buddy some how manages to throw the cables around my antenna and got stuck in the spoke of the rim and he bent the shit out of my antenna, it only goes down about 3/4 the waynow and while im driving it looks like its going to fly off any day now. how would i replace that?
    Btw t was totally worth it and i kinda had it coming

:lol:
    Do you have the power antenna in the front fender? That'll be a bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      :lol:
      Do you have the power antenna in the front fender? That'll be a bitch.
      Definitely can be an annoying thing to replace. Worst for me was routing the cable through the firewall to the receiver. I will say though, if it's just the mast that's messed up, go for a $9 dollar eBay replacement mast. They come with directions but, the basic thing is, you rip the old one out all the way, feed the new one in, and cycle it up/down a few times to get it set up. Doing that will allow you to forgo all the other work. The only hang up is, if you can't get the old mast out by yanking then you'd have to remove the motor to open the gear case, which at that point, you might as well just get a new motor considering the effort involved.
      Last edited by 86GmLsCoupe; 03-19-2008, 08:08 PM.
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

its not as hard as people think, the worst part is pulling back the wheel well shroud to get access ot the connections and bolt and that aint too hard. iv done 2 of em and both in a halfhour and few beers lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I use a small 4x4 block or whatever is around to wedge open wheel well shroud. You just reach in and IIRC, there's only one screw holding the motor inside the fender, and then the ring up top. Why Ford decided to make the cable part of the motor itself is beyond me, but at least you get a new cable when you do the motor.
          sigpic
          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

The cable is the worst part of it if you ask me. Laying upside-down under the dash to fish that cable out from behind the radio is quite annoying.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I gots a question for you mangs, I also have a power antenna, and I hear the motor turning and some clicking but nothing happening, half of the mast is missing, so my question is, should it move regardless, or is it just that I have half the mast missing and it won't move?

Comment

Why replace the whole motor/assembly when all you need to replace is the mast???? Carefully remove the top
                chrome nut, (it has 4 slots in)it. Take a 9/16" 3/8 drive DEEP socket, slip it over the remains of the mast into the fender hole. Use channel-lock pliers to turn the socket and unscrew the nut that secures the mast. Cycle the antenna up and the mast-cable will come right out. Observe which direction the plastic teeth are facing, so when you put the new one in while cycling down it will grab. Replace nut, tighten with deep socket using pliers. Replace fendernut. Done.
                89 Colony Park
                90 Colony Park
                70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  I gots a question for you mangs, I also have a power antenna, and I hear the motor turning and some clicking but nothing happening, half of the mast is missing, so my question is, should it move regardless, or is it just that I have half the mast missing and it won't move?
                  I think the plastic teeth inside the mast came out of the gear when your mast broke because it's just spooled around in there. If the motor runs, a new mast will get you back running again.
                  sigpic

Comment

the plastic rope gear attatches to the top most piece of the mast. if its not there, it won't work. Need a new mast and it should be good. Only thing to worry about is if the old plastic rope is still inside the motor assembly. if it is, you'll have to pull the motor, take it apart, and get the old broken rope out of it.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

must have linky to mast. the brown Grand Marq has power anenna and if you hit switch to make it go up, the top pops out so i have it set at 1/2-3/4 of the way up but would rather have a mast on it so it doesnt fly ut if somebody messed with the switch.
                      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        the plastic rope gear attatches to the top most piece of the mast. if its not there, it won't work. Need a new mast and it should be good. Only thing to worry about is if the old plastic rope is still inside the motor assembly. if it is, you'll have to pull the motor, take it apart, and get the old broken rope out of it.
                        If I take the rest of the mast out and I find like some of that white rope, is there anyway I can grab onto that without having to pull the motor? I don't think there is that white rope. Now how do I remove the remnents of the mast?

Comment

I was looking at mine today... how the heck does that thing come out?
                          1989 Mercury Colony Park Station Wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by JackG View Post
                            I was looking at mine today... how the heck does that thing come out?
                            Your power antenna is in your front passenger fender, correct?

The whole thing? Or just the mast? The mast is simple enough, you need to spin the top chrome piece that's on the fender loose. Once that's loose and removed, you can then take the bottom chrome part off. Then the nut for the mast is exposed. You will need a 14 or 15mm deep socket to remove it. Keep the nut, And there is something else that is at the base of the mast that needs to be saved too. A little sleeve iirc.

The entire assembly is a little more time consuming. First, you have to drop the black inner fenderwell. In order to do that, you have to take all of the components on the fenderwell off. I had to take the wheel off to get the fenderwell out completely. You might be able to remove the antenna assembly without removing the wheel, I'm not sure. Once that's out of the way, you can access the assembly. There is a bracket with a 4.5mm bolt. You must undo that bolt to loosen the assembly from the fender. You will also need to remove the chrome pieces on the top of the fender. Just like you would if you were just removing the mast. Now here comes the tricky part. If you are not going to keep the power antenna option, you will need to fish out the power antenna cable through the firewall. That means going to the back of the radio, and unplugging the antenna cable from it.

If you are going to keep the power antenna option, you can separate the metal cylinder that's attached to the cable. At the base of the cylinder there's some glue, it's probably yellowed or green. If you break the glue, you can pull the cylinder from the motor base.

Comment

Working...
                            X