Chrome Polish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome Polish...

what kinds of chrome polish is every one using? I'm looking for something that can shine up my bumpers and trim and all that. Currently, I use Eagle One Nev-R-Dull. I think way back when (with my '72 Cutlass) I used Turtle-Wax Chrome polish. Just wondering if there is something better than the Never-Dull out there.

i use mothers chrome polish and 00 steel wool on my chrome and stainless steel trim

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Well, my trim has a kind of "rainbow" haze to it. Will the steel wool help any of that?

Comment

That "rainbow haze" you describe is the anodizing on the aluminum. The only real way to remove it is by sanding it off then polishing up the aluminum.

-Paul

Comment

Are SOS pads okay to use?
          "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach​ a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day."

Comment

Probably a little bit aggressive for aluminum. Doesn't take much to scratch that badly and once you do, it'll look really hazy until you go through a bunch of steps of finer and finer sandpaper and finally a polish step at the end.

Unrelated, but I've been told that EZ-Off oven cleaner works well to get rid of the anodizing. The trim has to come off first otherwise it'll eat the paint off the car. The aluminum also has to be polished regularly once the anodizing is gone or it will oxidize very rapidly. I have never actually tried this, so attempt at your own risk.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

remove, polish, clearcoat, replace, forget about it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I use Flitz metal polish on my chrome. Works on paint too!

sigpic
                - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Working...
                X