turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo

i dont have a panther anymore. but ive been thinking about getting one of them cop issue vics and i was wondering if i would be able to rig up a mustang turbo kit, there the same engines aint they?

pullies line up different and front of the engine accessories are in different places on panthers compared to the mustang engines. welcome back by the way since you were gone for so long. there is a guy about 15 minutes west of Omaha who has a 1987 Crown Vic for $500-$550. it is white and has a coach roof. he belons on the board here and goes by the name 87LTDJohn if i remember
    Last edited by 87_crown_vic; 04-07-2008, 06:44 PM.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Too bad no one has real specific info on EGOKILLER's turbo Vic. That'd be super-useful for a thread like this.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

im thinkin about it, its all in the future now... ive got some aplications out and as soon as i get a job im gonna be lookin for another panther, i miss my vic but the law said it had to go, ive got a nice old truck now, a 1972 ford f-100 but its not the same. so would a 4.6 mustang engine swap in like the stang 5.0s do?

Comment

In a word, yes. The 4.6L Modular has some different requirements such as the bellhousing bolt pattern being different than a Windsor small-block, but if you use the right overall combination that's not a huge deal, especially if you're starting with a Whale or Aero Vic that's already set up for Modular power. But if you want to make a given swap and have the time, tools, and talent (or plenty of money), there's no reason you can't do it, regardless of the year Panther you choose (Mod motor in a Box, Windsor motor in an Whale, whatever). I spent a few months working for a guy who specializes in Modular swaps into first-gen Mustangs ... a project he's been working on for a long time now involves a real '70 Boss 302 that's getting a matching Boss block with a Roots-type supercharger, air to water intercooler, dry sump oiling system, aftermarket fuel injection, and coil on plug ignition, all under a functional stock '70 Boss hoodscoop. That's a very involved project that's costing the customer a boatload (he works for Chevron, go figure), but one of his flagship cars has a stock '99 Cobra driveline, and more recent projects are getting supercharged '03-'04 Cobra engines.

Comment

Check out the Mustang kits on turbokits.com. Just keep in mind that you will not be able to run more than 8psi on a stock bottom end.
            R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
            Originally posted by MeanVic84
            Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

1987cp, i mean switch a mustang mod with the vic stock mod engine in say a 2000 vic. if i spent the money, i would make sure the whole engine is strong enough to handle a turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by aramilx View Post
                1987cp, i mean switch a mustang mod with the vic stock mod engine in say a 2000 vic. if i spent the money, i would make sure the whole engine is strong enough to handle a turbo.
                Are they motors of the same year???
                R.I.P Linsey Nelson

Comment

they could be, this is just information gathering, i dont have a panther yet i just want to know if it would work.

Comment

The Crown Vic and Mustang engines are exactly the same as long as they are of the same year (exc '99-2000). In 1999 the Mustang got the PI (performance improved) heads that breathe much better than the NPI heads of years past. Please note that the Crown Vic did not get these heads till 2001..

BTW if your thinking of building a mod motor of any kind go and pick up How to Build Max Performance 4.6 Liter Ford Engines by Sean Hyland. Sean's the only name you need to know when it comes to these motors. He goes in depth on the SOHC and DOHC engines.

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Performa.../dp/188408978X
                    R.I.P Linsey Nelson

Comment

ok, thx that helps alot. now heres another ? is there room for a turbo kit under the hood? ive never seen a 4.6, but i was told they are bigger than a 5.0.

Comment

Yes the 4.6 is a very large engine compared to the 5.0

---------460--- 4.6---5.0
                        Length---32"----28"---27 1/2"
                        Height----26"---26"---20 1/4"
                        (Taken from the 2008 Ford Racing Catalog)
                        R.I.P Linsey Nelson

Comment

I too have thought about turboing the towny. Just flipping exhaust logs to opposite sides so they face forward and mounting some cheap turbos, but thats too much hassle for me.
                          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmarchris View Post
                            Yes the 4.6 is a very large engine compared to the 5.0

---------460--- 4.6---5.0
                            Length---32"----28"---27 1/2"
                            Height----26"---26"---20 1/4"
                            (Taken from the 2008 Ford Racing Catalog)
                            true that; the 4.6L DOHC, anyway, is bigger externally than a 385-series big block!

Aren't at least the cams, intake, and exhaust headers different on a 4.6 Mustang than a 4.6 Vic?

BTW, Aramilx: Cobra motor and TKO tranny FTW! My pal in Indiana deals with them from time to time and can sometimes even let them go for under 10 grand (was asking $8500 for the one he took to the Columbus swap meet in '05 or '06 for eye candy).
                            Last edited by 1987cp; 04-10-2008, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I know the intake is the same.After some research the exhaust manifolds are different. Dont know about the cams
                              R.I.P Linsey Nelson

Comment

Working...
                              X