Air bag light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air bag light

Today I started my car (1999 Lincoln TC)as usual everything was fine suddenly the air bag light went on ??? help please
    Last edited by mercury_1988; 04-13-2008, 11:05 AM. Reason: adding
    ======================================

just deal with it. hell my dads C-RV light was on for 3 years till the bulb burnt out...

shit gets old and breaks.

oh, and if it makes a squeaking noise, turn up the radio

Comment

Originally posted by mercury_1988 View Post
      Today I started my car (1999 Lincoln TC)as usual everything was fine suddenly the air bag light went on ??? help please
      Our '94 vic's light comes on when you start the car, but it shuts off about 5 seconds or so after startup.

Comment

I would have it checked out. If you wait for the bulb to burn out whats to say it will work when you need it.

Do you have any CEL codes with this ?
        Did you have the battery disconnected recently ?

Comment

The Airbag has it's own computer doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            Our '94 vic's light comes on when you start the car, but it shuts off about 5 seconds or so after startup.
            That's called a bulb check. Every car in the world with an air bag does that. How does this post help the issue at hand? If the light was going out, would he be posting?

The airbag lights I've encountered flash two-digit codes when they encounter a fault. You know, flash flash flash pause flash flash flash flash longer pause...etc...that would be a code of 34. Since the car is newer than airbag systems I've worked with, I don't know if the flash code works in the same way, but I'll bet if you get ahold of an OBD II reader it will tell you what code it's setting, and that will tell you what is at fault. One of the times my light came on it was when the wires to one of the front impact sensors had been damaged.

The faults I can think of off the top of my head are front and/or side impact sensors, the airbags themselves, wiring faults, or the computer module. On my (much older) car, the airbag computer is its own separate module, but on your car it might be part of the Body Control Module.

What you should know is that as long as the light is on, the airbag system WILL NOT FUNCTION. Some of the people on this board are of the opinion that airbags are little more than bombs in the steering wheel, but personally I'd rather have mine functioning. Mine prevented me from getting some broken ribs when my brakes failed and I was able to walk away without any injuries. So the bottom line is that if you care about the functioning of your airbag system, you shouldn't ignore this light and wait for it to burn out, because even if it burns out, the airbag system will not function in an accident.
            Last edited by 91waggin; 04-13-2008, 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling/punctuation failure
            Originally posted by gadget73
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

The light in my 97 came on when the fuse burnt out.

Replaced it and light went out.
              70 F250 Camper Special
              77 Ltd
              81 Tbird
              85 Grand Marquis

Comment

I know I've a completely different car but I had that and it turned out to be a loose connection. It's worth getting it checked out just in case.
                -Me

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                  That's called a bulb check. Every car in the world with an air bag does that. How does this post help the issue at hand? If the light was going out, would he be posting?

The airbag lights I've encountered flash two-digit codes when they encounter a fault. You know, flash flash flash pause flash flash flash flash longer pause...etc...that would be a code of 34. Since the car is newer than airbag systems I've worked with, I don't know if the flash code works in the same way, but I'll bet if you get ahold of an OBD II reader it will tell you what code it's setting, and that will tell you what is at fault. One of the times my light came on it was when the wires to one of the front impact sensors had been damaged.

The faults I can think of off the top of my head are front and/or side impact sensors, the airbags themselves, wiring faults, or the computer module. On my (much older) car, the airbag computer is its own separate module, but on your car it might be part of the Body Control Module.

What you should know is that as long as the light is on, the airbag system WILL NOT FUNCTION. Some of the people on this board are of the opinion that airbags are little more than bombs in the steering wheel, but personally I'd rather have mine functioning. Mine prevented me from getting some broken ribs when my brakes failed and I was able to walk away without any injuries. So the bottom line is that if you care about the functioning of your airbag system, you shouldn't ignore this light and wait for it to burn out, because even if it burns out, the airbag system will not function in an accident.

can you tell me what code 14 means?
                  2000 Grand Marquis LS: Back in the Panther Life Again.

Comment

From what I've been able to find out, there is no code 14. If it's code 41 that you're talking about it means "Primary crash sensor circuits high resistance or open."

Check the sensors in the front bumper/grill. Not sure exactly where they are on a 94, but on my 91 there's one right in front of the radiator by the hood latch. There are also some in the corners, I believe. These sensors have several wires that run out to them, but they ground through the frame mounting screw, so that the computer can tell if they're mounted properly. Check the ground there and make sure it's really clean and shiny. Also make sure that none of the wires are cut.
                    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

yeah its 41... my bad...and thanks.
                      Last edited by 1madpnthr; 04-21-2008, 09:56 PM. Reason: i suck at typing...

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                        From what I've been able to find out, there is no code 14. If it's code 41 that you're talking about it means "Primary crash sensor circuits high resistance or open."

Check the sensors in the front bumper/grill. Not sure exactly where they are on a 94, but on my 91 there's one right in front of the radiator by the hood latch. There are also some in the corners, I believe. These sensors have several wires that run out to them, but they ground through the frame mounting screw, so that the computer can tell if they're mounted properly. Check the ground there and make sure it's really clean and shiny. Also make sure that none of the wires are cut.
                        what happens if you put the car in drive and hit it with a hammer? just curious?

Comment

Originally posted by DANARCHY View Post
                          what happens if you put the car in drive and hit it with a hammer? just curious?
                          Hit what with the hammer? I have a friend who has a 94 Nissan Altima, and the horn quit awhile ago. He was whacking on the steering wheel, trying to get it to work again, and the airbag went off on him.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            The Airbag has it's own computer doesn't it?
                            Yes, if I recall correctly, it's the 'blue' box under the dash.

Most problems with airbags? The 'clockspring' behind the airbag itself, they are prone to infrequent breaking. It's the coiled wire that replaces the bronze horn/cruise control plate behind the steering wheel (that's how the circuit is completed between the steering wheel and steering column).

The bad part is that the clockspring breakage never sends off its own code, it registers as something else. And yes, the airbag will never fire while there is a light on.

Comment

awesome... I hate airbags...

Comment

Working...
                              X