Replacment Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacment Radio

How would I go about replacing the radio with out cutting my dash to fit one?
    Attached Files
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

Hmmm, Well do you plan on keeping the original radio in place? If so you can probobly mount it somewhere underneath the dash, Maybe make a custom wooden box for it, I cut into my panel and made a neat cherry wood trim for it. However if you dont want to cut into anything, which is completely understandable, I would go with mounting it underneath, If you do it right it would look good.

Edit: Also they sell plastic adapter pieces that you can fit a newer radio in and simply take out your old trim piece, If you wanted to go that route, I know they have them on ebay
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

You can hide a new radio in the glove box.

Comment

or if you wanted to get real fancy have it under the dash but hidden and have it fold out/down, or just come forward on a sliding and locking tray
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          You can hide a new radio in the glove box.
          Thats what I did. But, it eliminates the use of the glovebox for storage. However, I like the hidden radio look, and if you can go without the glovebox, its a good way to go.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

this company makes some new radios designed to look like the original ones. some have cd changers and other goodies attached.

http://www.vintagecarradio.com/radios.html
            What happened here?

Comment

Originally posted by crown vic muscle View Post
              this company makes some new radios designed to look like the original ones. some have cd changers and other goodies attached.

http://www.vintagecarradio.com/radios.html

Hey those are really neat, not too too expensive either, although about twice as much as an average head unit..
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Id look for another brown base trim dash piece with the DIN slot already in it.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
                  werd, thats what i was gonna recommend
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

yes no need to modify anything if you dont want... plus you can paint it to match if you cant find your color, or just use the all-woodtrim stuff.
                    Save the original bits for if you decide to sell it or resotre it.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I recommend the later style too. Look for one out of an '85-'87 CV.

The style with knobs like you have are pretty rare these days.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I was also gonna say get the trim out of a later model, no holes to cut.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I like the look of the one I have but those ones that would fit sure are pricey. I think Im going to keep an eye out on ebay for one at a decent price.
                          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
                            Ditto. The premium sound is kinda aggravating though. I couldn't find a harness to plug into it.
                            1963 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Holiday
                            1964 Chrysler Newport
                            1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX
                            1997 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeast86 View Post
                              Ditto. The premium sound is kinda aggravating though. I couldn't find a harness to plug into it.
                              Got mine at scosche.com (sp?).....still...is a bit aggravating though. Premium Sound" = "pain in the ass"
                              People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Working...
                              X