Super Unknown -- 350 HP 302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Unknown -- 350 HP 302

I'm officially starting the planning phase.

As of now, I'm sticking with a 302 and the car is going to remain a daily driver.

Starting with a new assembled 302 block
    Forged pistons
    GT40p heads (I may be able to get 'em)
    H.O. headers (already have)
    Cat-less H-pipe (already have)
    H.O. upper intake
    H.O. throttle body
    bored EGR spacer
    H.O. ECM
    19 lb. injectors

I imagine that a higher pressure fuel pump would be needed. If necessary, the ECM can be re-programmed (or so I believe).
    1--What should I be looking for when it comes to a cam?
    2--What is it going to take to get a 302 to hit 350 HP?
    3--From the above-listed items, what needs to be changed to reach 350 HP?
    4--Should I go aftermarket intake? Anything else that I should go aftermarket on?

This is just the start. Things are bound to change, but I want your guys' input on the subject.

*350 HP is the minimum. The budget as of now is $3,500. Keeping it Fuel Injected.*

---------------------
    Justin

wow.

350 is a big number. It can be acheived, but you will need some serious engine work.

Of course, nothing is impossible. I will prob have around 400hp at the flywheel with the 351W im building, and thats with real good heads, a pretty stout cam, and a 4bbl.

Nothing is impossible...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

IF you want 350hp you need to bore and stroke that puppy.
      2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Is a 331 going to be a better option than a beefed-up 302? Can I can get by with the GT40 heads rather than the GT40P heads? I've already got the headers and H-pipe.

It seems that I may be looking at a Mass Air setup. Will I be able to get by with H.O. upper intake or should I go bigger?

I may be willing to cut back on the HP some. I don't know for sure yet. I would really like the 350 hp.
        --------------------
        Justin

Comment

??Problem solved??

GT40 engine

------------------
          Justin

Comment

that's alot of money and u need more......read this

345 HP with 397-M-6250-B303, 340 HP with 397-M-6250-E303 camshaft, Ford Racing induction kit, headers, and a 65mm throttle body not included

ok lets start out with the fuel pump
            the stock pump may work, but if not, the mustang aftermarket pumps fit......the higher the flow, the noiser the pump remember that.........go with the 155lph pump

the shortblock
            any 302 roller shortblock will do, you can usually get core units from the junkyards for 100 bucks
            find a good machine shop
            have them check the block, bore it, install new cam bearings
            if you want a stroker, get a 331 or a 347 stoker kit.....i have seen them for 699 with free shipping (the 347 kit)
            have them assemble that

another option is to buy a ford racing 347 shortblock.........it retails for about $2400

heads
            check out thumpers heads, they are awesome
            www.thumperoforangepark.com they are 600 bucks a pair, and outflow the aluminium gt40 heads.
            i have thumpers on the towncar, and i am ordering 2 more sets for the vic and the vovo

camshaft
            run the e303........the b cam isnt automatic friendly

intake
            the power plus typhoon is an edelbrock clone, and around $350, alot cheaper

throttle body
            70 mm

egr spacer
            this is where it gets tricky lol
            buy a 70mm egr spacer for a mustang
            take a stock lopo egr spacer and the 70mm one to a machine/welding shop, have them weld in a chunk of aluminium so it can be drilled and tapped to work just like the raised mounting bosses cast into the lopo spacer for the throttle/tv linkage cables mounting bracket.........correct aligment just as stock is critical
            swap throttle levers on the 70 mm throttle body

ok now you will need a mass air kit
            since you will need to run 24 lb injectors, you will need an ecm, and a mass air meter calibrated for the larger injectors.
            heres a link to a kit that a friend of mine used on a 347 grand marquis wagon it's $599 a decent price and a nice kit
            http://brothersperformance.com/shop/...ro1011115.html

a 3 row radiator would be a good idea, along with a transmission to handle this power

sounds like one hell of a buildup justin, i wish you luck brother!
            scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I would like over 300, but I realize it'll be a longe journey in my situation and in most average joes. Good luck!

Comment

Yeah, that 345 HP engine is way too much money.

the shortblock
                any 302 roller shortblock will do, you can usually get core units from the junkyards for 100 bucks
                find a good machine shop
                have them check the block, bore it, install new cam bearings
                if you want a stroker, get a 331 or a 347 stoker kit.....i have seen them for 699 with free shipping (the 347 kit)
                have them assemble that
                I don't really want to go through the machine shop part. I've talked to mechanics around town and remember from back in my farming days that the machine shops around here are not so good. I'll have to do more checking into that, but I'd like to go with a new block, possibly with some assembly.

How much has to be bored out to get it to 331 specs?

I'm leary of the 347 'cause I've read that they are oil burners.

I'm also beginning to reconsider my 350 HP choice. Would I be better off financially and avoid some trouble by trying for 300 HP instead?

--------------------
                Justin

Comment

then i would go with the new shortblock from ford......part number m-6009-b50........it has a retail price of $1350...........add the thumper heads....$599 with $100 core.........e 303 cam $150..........power products intake, throttle body and egr spacer about $475........roller rockers $160.......gaskets $100
                  anyway, theres your engine that should put out at least 300 hp for around 3 grand with some change to spare, i did forget the mass air conversion, that can run upwards of 600 bucks for a new conversion kit with new ecm, new larger maf, harness, and air cleaner and intake tubes......used is alot cheaper.....the new conversion harness is around 30 dollars and takes about an hour to install
                  scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I can get an edelbrock upper nd lower, with 70mm TB and spacer, big MAF with MATCHING 24# injectors..

500 bucks
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                    X