Diesel --> Towncar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel --> Towncar

I have no clue where this thread should go. So I'm putting it here since it would involve more than your everyday modifications. Anyway, as you can tell I'm gonna make this happen sooner or later. I'm still thinking of going with a GM 6.2 or 6.5. Take a look at these pictures guys, does it look like it could fit between the frame rails of a panther? It looks fairly wide, definitely wider than a 302. The oil pan is deeper, and would need modification to clear the front crossmember I think.

I've already ruled out the 5.9 Cummins, they are just too damn heavy and tall to fit under the hood. A few have suggested finding a BMW M21 diesel (the one used in the 84-85 Mark 7) but only about 270 of those were made, and they were pretty lousy on the HP/TQ.

What do you guys think?
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

It almost appears like the engine would sit further back in the engine compartment. However, with some cutting and welding of the crossmember, it doesn't look terribly difficult!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

anything will fit if you make it...

Pics don't do much without any reference...

Oil pan will neeed modification, which also means oil pump pickup will also need modding.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

A very wise man once said, "You can fit anything into anything if you have a big enough hammer."

Got any outside dimensions on that engine?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Been looking for dimensions, no luck yet. Guess I'll have to sign up to one of the diesel boards and ask.
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

It'll fit... the oil pan will prolly be the biggest PITA. Dunno how tall it'll be though.

The bulkheads might cause some issues.... but if a 460 can fit....
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Ever seen under the hood of a diesel Mark VII? good lord what a mess. They look shoehorned in there. The wiring on those is also nasty looking, half Bosch style connectors half Ford.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Still trying to get the dimensions, seems no one in the diesel community wants to give them to me without me paying for it, which I find ridiculous. It's supposedly about the same size as a big block chevy motor, which still doesn't help me, because I don't know those dimensions either. So, I'll continue to look around.

Btw, in case anyone was wondering what an uncorked NA 6.2 sounds like, here you go.

Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Why a GM engine, and not a Navistar IH? Tis the same injection system, just less shit to deal with when the IP takes a dump (injectors on top of engine like Panthers, no intake removal needed if you wanna mess with them lines). Also the oil pan ain't so retarded in shape, but more along the lines of your typical truck engine pan. Minimal wiring needed for an 6.9 & 7.3 engine, but I guess that applies to the 6.2 and early 6.5 as well seeing how they all use the DB2 Stanadyne pump. For dimensions, have you tried asking at the dieselplace.com ?

Comment

My boss has a Navistar in his truck and it's a piece of shit. It also has a cam sensor and a bunch of other shit. The cam sensor in his goes out about every 6 months too.

From what I've been reading, the 6.2/6.5 are about the same size as a 454.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln View Post
                      My boss has a Navistar in his truck and it's a piece of shit. It also has a cam sensor and a bunch of other shit. The cam sensor in his goes out about every 6 months too.

From what I've been reading, the 6.2/6.5 are about the same size as a 454.
                      Navistar 6.9/7.3 is an excellent engine, Jon. Have you ever owned one?
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Jon, that Navistar happen to have a factory turbo? There ain't no cam sensors in the NA Navistar, not to my knowledge at least. Besides, what would it need one for anyways - tis all mechanical injection, the 6.9 ones don't even have a solid-state glowplugs, let alone an ECM or anything else that would use a sensor. The '94-up 6.5 engines however have an optical sensor on them...

Comment

Yeah it was factory turbo.

I can get a military 6.2 for $900 from a seller online. It's also been gone through thoroughly, don't know where I'm gonna get a navistar motor from where someone does that at that price.
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Jon, think I got it - that sensor on the Navistar, is it right by the oil fill neck on the IP gear cover? If so that's the tach sender, completely unnecessary with a C6 tranny, and completely irrelevant to the engine's operation - all it does is trigger the tachometer, and feed the PCM info needed for the E4OD controls.

That 6.2 seems like a damn good deal tho, go for it. I was just suggesting alternative options in the form of the Navistar, but they are comparable motors in the end.

Comment

I know you're trying to help mang. I'm just looking for the cheapest option, not going for performance per say.

When the cam sensor goes out on this truck, it won't run. You can drive it, and the engine will just shut off. You have to push in the clutch, start it again and it'll be fine for about 30 seconds, then it'll die again. Maybe it IS for the tach, but it's also sending a signal to the engine computer or something, and is shutting off the motor. Not sure what all there is to the Navistar. I know my boss is sick of it and is swapping a Cummins into the truck lol
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Working...
                              X