Another Tranny Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Tranny Q

Seeing as how the AOD uses a cable attached to the TB to tell the tranny when to shift (basically, I'm sure it's more in-depth than that), if I were to completely disconnect that cable, then put the car in drive the tranny would then stay in 1st gear when I accelerate correct?

The reason I'm asking is because while I was trying to get the linkage off one of the trannies I'm working on, I had a thought. If I were to eliminate the TV cable, that would prevent it from shifting into the next gear, requiring me to manually put it into the next gear. I could essentially make it a floor shifted clutchless manual by running a cable from the linkage to the new shifter, right? I know it would be manual only, but that's what I want.

Is it that easy or is there more involved? I think I heard somebody mentions something about modifying the valve body or something, but I know more about brain surgery than I do about transmissions.

Once again, thanks everybody.
    Straight sixes make me randy...:smirk:
    1992 Ford Tempo GLS 2 door.
    3.0 Vulcan V6,3 Speed auto
    Planned mods: Strut tower braces, new fog lamps, tint, clean it up and paint it glossy black.

It would actually shift through all the gears very quickly and blow itself up because there wouldn't be enough pressure to hold the clutches fully engaged. The cable actually operates a pressure regulator system. Its not just a kickdown like a C4 or C6 trans. You could wire it to full pressure, but then it wouldn't upshift till you hit silly speeds, like 40+ to shift out of first gear. I doubt you'd ever hit third gear.

To do what you want, you really need a modified valve body.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Damn. I knew it couldn't be that easy.

I found that Trans go has a shift kit that will do it, but only for the AODE. Any idea as to what type of modifications would be needed to make this work? I know I'm bugging people, and I'm sorry, but like I said, I know squat about trannies.
      Straight sixes make me randy...:smirk:
      1992 Ford Tempo GLS 2 door.
      3.0 Vulcan V6,3 Speed auto
      Planned mods: Strut tower braces, new fog lamps, tint, clean it up and paint it glossy black.

Comment

These things I do not know, but these people probably do:

http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/index.php

Have a poke around, there is probably more AOD related info there than you'd ever want to know. Silverfox knows his stuff too, he builds race ready AOD trannys and drives a Mark VII, so he's cool.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X