Odometer broke...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odometer broke...

but speedo working fine... WTF could that be? And ?how do I fix it.

I know this is prob repost x20gazillion... but im lazy.
    2000 Grand Marquis LS: Back in the Panther Life Again.

It's the gears that drive the odometer. they're originally plastic, and they dry rot (for lack of a better term) and teeth break off, or the whole gear crumbles, and the odometer ceases to work....happens to tripmeters too.

Ford doesn't carry them anymore, so you're out of luck there. There is a fella online that sells 'em, but I don't have his website right on hand at the moment, I am sure someone will chime in soon.

Be prepared though, last I looked they were like $25 each, and you'll need 2 gears for your odometer. so look to spend fifty bucks plus shipping. AND depending upon what color your worm gear is, you might need it too.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

yep.... you need new odometer gears

http://www.odometergears.com/ford.html
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Ours stopped working about the time we got the car. So it's still at 96,000 miles

Comment

isnt the gears in the cluster? if so couldnt i just replace it?
          2000 Grand Marquis LS: Back in the Panther Life Again.

Comment

LUCKY !!

Comment

stupid plastic gears that's why I won't buy a 90-91 lol

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

He's got a '94. I looked at a speedo from a '94 or so and saw no places to attach a speedo cable or anything. I didn't take it apart or look to see if it comes apart but I'm sure it does and I'm sure you can just replace the gears. If you were feeling lucky you could go to a junkyard and pull a speedo from a '94, that way you would see how everything comes apart, and get your gear.

Comment

Originally posted by projektRoyalDemon View Post
                  isnt the gears in the cluster? if so couldnt i just replace it?
                  Yes, the gears are inside the speedometer head. you have to disassemble the speedo head to replace the gears, its not terribly difficult.

you can buy a used cluster and/or speedo head, but the factory gears all have the same problem. if you find a used one that works, it usually wont work for very long.
                  personally, I would spend the $50 on new gears and know its fixed correctly.

this is a common issue on most 90-95 panthers and T-bird/cougars.
                  2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                  89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                  88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
                  X