Tailgate sag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailgate sag

On my wagon I have a ton of sag when you open it up like a door (not like a tailgate)

probably drops a couple inches on the right side, and it's due to a large amount of slop in the upper left pin area.

Right now it looks like a metal bushing that's way to small for the hole it's supposed to fill. Was that metal the inner part of a larger bushing at some time or has the hole it fits into just been rounded out?

Guess the bottom line is: is there an actual part I should buy and press in there or time to get custom?

JD
    1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Probably rounded out. The hinges on panther tailgates are far too weak for the job. Only old ones that are still good are from wagons owned by people who rarely, if ever, opened the gate.

Donald McCaig

Comment

Hinge prob wore out. They are pretty dinky for the weight of the tailgate.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I brazed a little on my upper hinge and built the worn area back up. It works like new now. Of course the brazing won't last like the original, but at least it is fix for a while.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yeah, i'm looking at maybe trying to build it back up with some weld, and then grind it back down to where it's supposed to be (that's the tricky part...)
          1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Comment

Working...
          X