Some 4.6 Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some 4.6 Questions...

Well, lately I've been tossing around the idea of getting a newer Vic/Grand Marquis. The used car dealer brought an immaculate 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis in for an E-test, and let me go for a drive in it. I was very impressed, and if he had not allready sold it, I would have bought it ($5500, 100,000km (60,000mi) Silver, grey interior, HPP wheels) I'm sticking with the Vic for now, but for future reference, I'd like to get an idea of what some of the basic mods are for say a 2000-2003 Grand Marquis. I know nothing about these engines other than the water pumps are really easy to change. So, I'm looking for basic engine, suspension, exhaust, and brake mod ideas and how much difference I'd be expecting to see from a stock set up. Thanks guys.
    sigpicVic Videos Here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...676#post243676
    Vic's Reader's Rides Page http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16917
    Vic's Cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532949
    1975 Chevy C-10 Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3371894

If you get one make sure its an 01 or newer. They came with the perfomance improved 4.6s. In 03 I belive they got the rack and pinion steering. I like the old style better, but its your choice. Pulleys, chip, exhaust, cross drilled rotors all around, 04 zip tube with a marauder air box and maf sensor would really wake it up as well. Or if you get a older one you can bolt up the heads and intake from a PI engine and actually make even more power as it increases compression, and has the better flowing top end. Hope that helps some.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I like the aeros. I let a nice on go last year. loaded, immaculate, less than 100k and under $3k. If you go whale, I prefer '04 and up. Some years have a positive displacement blower available that several people on the "other" site have installed with good results.

Comment

94 isnt too bad... but I really dont know crap about it mod wise.
        2000 Grand Marquis LS: Back in the Panther Life Again.

Comment

I passed up a dead mint 95 Vic that only needed shocks. $1200, but I couldnt have another car sitting around at that time. Might be shopping around either this year before winter or next spring, if the Vic goes that long. Dont know if I want to go as far as a blower, but it would be cool to know the options there. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

For being a heavier than a box, and having only 281 ci, the whales move very well in stock form. My dad has a '00 P71, with the pre PI 4.6. With 3.55's it is surprisingly quick.

The suspension got a serious overhaul on the cars from '03 up. However, I've never driven an '03+ car to know how different it is that the first gen whales. My Dad's car is by no means a handler, but it does alot better than my box; that is for sure.

In addition, the modular engines go forever, and reliability isn't an issue.

I've never been a fan of Aero CV's; the GM's were pretty decent though. I hate the rear most window on the sides of the CV. Hideous, although they can be made to look nice; if I had one I would go for the cop look myself. My friend has a '97 Aero, and it doesn't impress me. It has crappy gears, and with his lead foot his mileage is absolutely horrendous.

I'd go with a whale over an aero, but thats just me. But, the newer cars are nice, and they are very smooth. Keep us posted on your search, if you decide to get one.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

There are a lot of changes that occurred in the year range you specified ('00-'03). So, here are some of the main points you should be aware of:

98-02: Frame was updated in the '98 model year, incorporating a watts linkage in the rear. Was basically unchanged during this period. Better handling than the '92-97 panthers. Also had the front brakes upgraded.

96-00: Non-performance improved (NPI) 4.6. This has better heads and manifold (other than the plastic coolant crossover) when compared to the '91-95 design. In '98, the engine was updated, getting rid of the front-mounted coil packs/plug wires as well as the mechanical fan.

01-present: Performance Improved (PI) engine. Higher compression heads w/ better (stock for stock) flow than previous SOHC heads. Improved intake manifold and cams as well. IIRC, early in '02, they started using the "updated" PI manifold, which uses an aluminum coolant crossover in the front.

03-present: Major change: Updated chassis. From the firewall forward, the frame was completely redesigned, incorporating rack and pinion steering. From the firewall back, most of the frame stays the same. However, the rear shock absorbers are moved outboard the frame rails.

So...with the year range you specified...there's not any real way to nail down a nice, neat listing of mods. However, there are some "universal" mods which help any modern panther.

Some examples:
              - Swaybars. For a Marquis, upping to a HPP (21MM) rear swaybar and a PI (29.5MM) front can help handling a lot. IIRC, certain years/models did not have a rear swaybar (at least on Vics). If you have the desire and $$, larger ADDCO swaybars can be had.

- Marauder Airbox/ MAF. Not a cheap option, as this automatically requires a chip/tune. Adds a few ponies (IIRC, around 15 or so). Another option would be to use a Lightning MAF (they came in 80 and 90 MM). It is recommended that you use a 2004 PI intake tube, as it has a better fit over the larger MAF.

- Underdrive pullies. Steeda comes highly recommended (It's what I have), as it does not "piggyback" any of the factory pullies. I doubt it frees up any horsepower, but (in my case) the engine revs faster. No tune required.

- Intake plenum/throttle body. The intake plenum can be ported to allow better flow. You can either do this yourself or go to a place which offers pre-ported units. The stock throttle body is a 65mm unit, and can easily be replaced w/ a 70MM piece. I found mine on a '98 E350 w/ the 5.4. No tune is required.

That's all I can think of right now; I think my mind is going to bed without me, so I'll leave it at that. Hope there is something useful in that mess.

-Rob
              1996 Police Interceptor-187K miles **Replacement DD found**
              Engine/trans: '03 4.6, underdrives, shorties, 80mm MAF, Custom downpipes, Ported plenum, 70MM T/B, and Dyno Tune. J-modded Y2K 4r70w w/ Marauder TC.
              Misc: ADDCO bars, Big brakes, 17" wheels, '02 steering box, and LXSport console w/ floor shift! :headbang:

Comment

Even though I own a 2000, I would go with a 2003+.

Comment

I've been browsing around looking at 04 Grand Marquis. I;m finding I like to looks of the GM over the CV, plus they are cheaper to insure. If I could insure it, I'd spend the extra money and get a Marauder instead. So maybe focus on mods for an 04 platform. I've been browsing summit racing, but they dont seem to offer much other than basic stuff.

Comment

2003 Model year had some rear axle issues. All of which were worked out by 2004 model year. I like the weight of the aero panther but I like the front end and rear tailights of the whale body better. Alot of the "mustang" mods will work with the cv/gm. I think the Grand marquis has a few more "comforts" over the Crown Vic and I like the look and style of the grand marquis over the crown vic. especially the pre 08.

As far as a performance standpoint. anything 1996 and newer will be easier to modify. Stick with a 96-97 aero and drop in a 2001 or newer PI motor and have the best of both worlds.....a lighter panther and more horsepower.

Good mods for any panther would be the Marauder airbox/MAF combo combined with an SCT custom tune. upgrade your throttle body. get a larger intake plenum or port/polish your stock one. Underdrive pulleys. High flow catalytic converters from magnaflow move alot more air through them then the stock ones do.

Addco swaybars and some edelbrock or bilstein shocks will help ride quality. 95-97 panther can benefit from the 98+ big brake upgrade.

A j-modded transmission will help firm up the slushbox transmission and prolong transmission life. and a set of 3.55 or 3.73 rear gears will help get the beached whale moving.
                    1997 Grand Marquis w/ 126400
                    TOO MANY MODS TO LIST WITH ONLY 5 LINES OF SPACE. VISIT MY SUPERMOTORS PAGE FOR MORE DETAILS

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15008

Comment

Originally posted by Not_Grandpas_Marquis View Post
                      2003 Model year had some rear axle issues. All of which were worked out by 2004 model year.
                      Sorry to sorta-kinda hijack the thread, but what were the rear axle problems with the '03s?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
                        Sorry to sorta-kinda hijack the thread, but what were the rear axle problems with the '03s?
                        This mm.net thread should answer your question. Apparently there was/is a TSB regarding the axles, due to premature wear.

Here is the TSB text, copied and pasted from the aformentioned link:

Article No. 03-5-5 AXLE - REAR AXLE SHAFT AND/OR AXLE BEARING PREMATURE WEAR - VEHICLES PRODUCED BEFORE 1/1/2003 ONLY

Publication Date: February 28, 2003

FORD: 2003 CROWN VICTORIA
                        LINCOLN: 2003 TOWN CAR
                        MERCURY: 2003 GRAND MARQUIS

Article 02-25-3 is being republished in its entirety to update the model line coverage.

ISSUE:
                        Some 2003 Town Car (except Limo and Hearse chassis), Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis vehicles produced before 1/1/2003, may exhibit rear axle shaft and/or axle bearing premature wear. This is caused by excessive load, temperature, and inadequate lubrication.

ACTION:
                        To service, install Rear Axle Bearing Service Kit, Part Number 3W1Z-4A109-AA. Refer to the instruction sheet included with the service kit.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
                        3W1Z-4A109-AA Rear Axle Bearing Service Kit

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
                        NONE

SUPERSEDES:
                        02-25-3

WARRANTY STATUS:
                        Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
                        030505A Install Axle Bearing Service Kit 1.5 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
                        BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
                        4234 42

OASIS CODES:
                        509000, 510000, 703200, 703300

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.

Copyright © 2003 Ford Motor Company
                        1996 Police Interceptor-187K miles **Replacement DD found**
                        Engine/trans: '03 4.6, underdrives, shorties, 80mm MAF, Custom downpipes, Ported plenum, 70MM T/B, and Dyno Tune. J-modded Y2K 4r70w w/ Marauder TC.
                        Misc: ADDCO bars, Big brakes, 17" wheels, '02 steering box, and LXSport console w/ floor shift! :headbang:

Comment

I got an '04 for $7,000 it blue books for $13,000. You can get a kick ass deal on a late model panther because they cant give these cars away.

BTW in the '05 or '06 model year they switched from a 28 spline to a 30 spline axle rear end
                          R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                          Originally posted by MeanVic84
                          Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmarchris View Post
                            ....BTW in the '05 or '06 model year they switched from a 28 spline to a 30 spline axle rear end
                            The throttle also changed to "drive by wire" during the same time.

Comment

I try to forget the whole drive by wire thing
                              R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                              Originally posted by MeanVic84
                              Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Working...
                              X