Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hey mr LED guru (speedo cluster bulb replacement)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey mr LED guru (speedo cluster bulb replacement)

Dash light question for you. How do the factory lights come up green, is just a rubber bulb cover thing, or is there a green filter inside the instrument cluster someplace? And does it really matter? Was just considering swapping mine to blue and was wondering if it was just a bulb swap or if its more involved than that. Also, how is the night time readability with blue lights?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

not sure about a tc cluster, but the vic clusters have a blue-green cap over two of the bulbs
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

yeah they are probably the same, yellowish stock bulb and a blue-ish green cover.

the swap is easy, I didnt even remove the speedo to do mine, just took off the face. Pop the blue covers off and pull the bulbs... replace with your choice of lighting

I can see my speedo just fine with two side emitting 194 LED replacements... its not bright but mellow.
      The white numbers stand out well from the black background in the blue light.
      Some vic speedos have 4 illumination bulbs - i bet it would be brighter then. I dunno about the TC speedo.

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

can u get black light bulbs?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

IIRC the Townie has a total of like 6 bulbs in the clusterfuck, but they're a pain to get at. I once got in there and moved them around to get them lighting again, but never actually removed the bulbs because I couldn't get my hand in there to disconnect the speedo cable and that left me with nearly zero room.

Thanks for the info guys. Was just curious what wuld be involved with swapping it out. I *might* be able to score a digital dash with a tripminder for my car, and if thats the case I'll probably just replace the rest of the lights with new bulbs and keep the stock greenish color to match the green digi display. If that falls through, I'll probably just blue out the dash and also install some blue LEDs in the small "lenses" between the headlights.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X