Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to do new stereo wiring

hey guys
    im working on putting a new radio in my car and i noticed that the wiring is really old and is statring to crack. so how would i go about putting new speaker wiring and radio wiring in my 85 vic. any help and suggestions would be great. im probably going to get a new radio today and start this project as sonn as i get the info. thanks in advanced.
    1985 CV LTD 5.0L V8 130,000

Run a pair of new wires to the back through the wire guides on the sides. If you pull off the door sill pieces and lift the carpet up a bit, you'll find a cardboard channel. Put your wires in there. To get them into the trunk, you can fish them under the back seat with a coathanger, or if you're feeling ambitious you can remove the rear seat back but that tends to be a bastard to get the bolts out. For the stuff in the dash, just remove the upper dash pad and route your wires. Its not too bad. Doors you'd need to get the wires through the bellows between body and door, also not too bad but the door panels need to come off for access. The kick panel pieces inside the car also will need to come off.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

replacing all the wires is probably a good idea, especially if you're replacing the stock stereo and don't already have an aftermarket one that you're swapping out for another aftermarket one, since the original stereos came with a common ground stereo connections for all their speakers. In other words, each speaker has a + wire but the - wires from every speaker are all tied together and have one pin on the back of the stock stereo that they connect to. No new stereo will have this setup, because it sucks. Each speaker will have - and + connections on the back of the stereo, and not having to modify the stock common ground system will make life much easier.
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

While you're at it, look into going with 6-1/2" or 6-1/2"S mid-bass speakers for the front doors. The smaller dash openings are really inadequate in the pursuit of sonic nirvana.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
          While you're at it, look into going with 6-1/2" or 6-1/2"S mid-bass speakers for the front doors. The smaller dash openings are really inadequate in the pursuit of sonic nirvana.
          x2

I forgot you had dash speaker openings, since mine only has the ones in the doors.
          Originally posted by gadget73
          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
          X