'93 GM Blowing Oil Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'93 GM Blowing Oil Smoke

Was driving in stop and go traffic a few minutes ago, wondering if I knew the person behind me, when I hit the gas and was greeted with a massive plume of oil smoke . I thought it was a one time thing like it usually does, but a trail follwed me home. What the hell? There's no sweet smell that would signal antifreeze burning, so we know it's oil. My dad was thinking the rings are bad? Maybe a gasket somewhere down the line? Ideas? Help!!!
    1998 Crown Victoria P71: Former National Institiute of Health vehicle
    1974 VW Beetle

Valve seals. It's a common problem on the pre-'96 4.6L motor.

The bad news is that it looks bad. The good news is that you can keep driving it, letting it smoke. Just be sure you keep the oil topped off.

Ray
    Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
    Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Marquis View Post
      Valve seals. It's a common problem on the pre-'96 4.6L motor.

The bad news is that it looks bad. The good news is that you can keep driving it, letting it smoke. Just be sure you keep the oil topped off.

Ray
      x2 valve seals indeed how much oil are you burning right now

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

I'm not sure how much it's actually burning. I check it at least once a week and it's not bad. How much of a task is it to get the valve seals replaced? Thanks, guys.
        1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Valve stem seal replacement is not for the faint of heart. Here is a write up of the process. That one is a bare-bones article, with no pix.
          This thread has a couple of links with pix of the process.

-Rob
          1996 Police Interceptor-187K miles **Replacement DD found**
          Engine/trans: '03 4.6, underdrives, shorties, 80mm MAF, Custom downpipes, Ported plenum, 70MM T/B, and Dyno Tune. J-modded Y2K 4r70w w/ Marauder TC.
          Misc: ADDCO bars, Big brakes, 17" wheels, '02 steering box, and LXSport console w/ floor shift! :headbang:

Comment

Thanks for the articles. I was just trying to get an idea of how much this was going to set me back in repair bills. It does make things easier when you have a cousin that runs a shop a few blocks away from my school. I think I'm gonna drop by and see what I can find out tomorrow.
            1974 VW Beetle

Comment

I was quoted between $600-700 many years ago.

Another option is to replace the motor. Sometimes you can find a good deal on them. You can use any CV/GM/TC motor from '96-'00 with just a swap of your intake & exhaust manifolds. I was able to pick up a '00 engine & trans from a wrecked civilian-CV with only 13k miles on them for the same price. It was a no brainer.
              Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
              Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

if you can wait 2 weeks or so i'm going to be doing valve seals in a 92 4.6......the motor is out of the car which should make it easier......why you ask i dont get a 96+ engine? cause it's a bastard block car

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I have some Felpro seals if you want them
                  R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                  Originally posted by MeanVic84
                  Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

sure cableguy would appreciate that!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Went to my cousin's shop after school. He looked it over and told me to keep track of what fluids it's using and check back in with him. My motor only has 102,850 miles on it. I don't think I need to replace it. He thinks it might be either the piston rings or the valve seals.
                      1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Do a compression or leak ddown test and find out for shure
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Its normal, just keep up on the oil. It will eventually take out the O2s and cats, but Ange has learned to live wit it.
                          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

He looked for blow-by and didn't see any signs of it. What do you mean that it will eventually take out the O2's and cats?
                            1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury93 View Post
                              What do you mean that it will eventually take out the O2's and cats?
                              Oil smoke is detrimental to Oxygen sensors and catalytic converters.
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                              X