Vapor canister?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vapor canister?

Hey I was just curious if anyone is familiar with a "vapor canister"? I dont know what the hell it is or does exactly but my mercury marquis has one by the front bumper connected to the bumper support beam and two of the hoses are broken which im guessing is why my check engine light came on? I tried to J*B weld it but it just kept breaking from stress so i just put on some shit tape and im sure its still leaking.. What should i do?
    burning rubber since 2000

Go to autozone and have the codes read. I dunno what year you have if it would trigger a CEL or not with that. I just junked all that shit and saved a ton of weight.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

its a 97 but if i just junk that shit will it screw with me computer at all? or drivability of my vehicle?

Comment

Yeah I wouldnt junk it on a OBD II vehicle. However I would see if pick n pull has any 97-96 cars in their yard and pull one out of those
        R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
        Originally posted by MeanVic84
        Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

OBD II ??

Comment

Any vehicle that is 1996 or newer has OBD II
            R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
            Originally posted by MeanVic84
            Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

I thought you worked at a Ford dealer ... should probably just have your pals there fix it correctly.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

ford dealership?, Im sorry but i paint houses for a living. ( If that was directed towards me , If not sorry )

anyways i went into autozone the dipshits didnt even know anything about that stuff.. and the dealership wants more than i can handle to just take a look at it let alone fix the stinkin thing.

So im in a pickle weather i should just remove it or plastic weld the darn thing till it works. If it works that is.

Comment

If the hoses are broken you should be able to section in some vacuum tubing that's made to handle fuel vapor and you should be alright. My 86 has a vapor canister in the same area. I'm not sure of the exact purpose but it I'm pretty sure it recovers fumes as part of the emission system. You'll probably have to get the codes cleared for the light to go off. Autozone should be able to pull and clear the code for you once the repair has been made.
                  sigpic
                  1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                  Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Instead of a vent to the atmosphere a charcoal canister stores the vapors until the engine is under a load and can use them. Its really quite worthless, but it will set a light on newer cars.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I do believe burning the fumes is supposed to help with part-throttle fuel economy, much like the EGR system.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                      X