Tailgate guide fix...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailgate guide fix...

Finally got around to redoing the felt guide that have been scrathing the back window. As suggested by a member on stationwagonforums.com, I used the softer half of some industrial velcro.

Old

New

Both guides....

Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Cool, simple fix too.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nice! will have to do this to wagons that come by here in the future

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

It's pretty easy to do....took about an hour

Comment

Great Idea! I need to do that.
          2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Does this help the rear window slop around less? Any ideas for fixing/replacing the outer weatherstrip lip to complement the guides?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yeah, it does... nada on the outer weatherstrip though. I think it's a basic type that can be bought bulk and attached though. Luckily all my weatherstrip is in good shape

Comment

That's cool. I'll have to decide which of my outer assemblies is the "extra" one and see how hard it is to get the strip off without damaging anything.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

it's stapled on, should come off very easily.

Comment

It looks great. Could I ask you how did you removed the guides on the exterior side? I mean these:

I am not sure how to remove them without removing the glass, there is bad access to the bolts. Thank you.

BTW after three years I have the STW I have decided to make the tailgate work how it should. It was not easy at all, but definitely worth the effort.
                    sigpic

Comment

that rubber is supposed to be attached to the trim panel on the outside of the tailgate......put the window all the way up and theres 2 bolts and some clips to get the panel of if i remember correctly.......best bet is to check jc whitney for some material that is close

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The outer trim panel has to come off.... The third picture in the original post is of the tailgate with the panel removed...

Comment

Working...
                        X