Tailgate weather stripping pic request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailgate weather stripping pic request

Ok I have been fighting this since I took my wagon out of the shop from paint. I must not have put my weather stripping on right because it leaks at the top of the rear window. Now I have tried different ways and still leakage. Could someone please take a pic for me where there weather stripping meets the window.

Thanks
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

I'll take a pic for you as soon as I get the beast back from the a/c shop later today. My compressor froze up and spat metal shavings into the whole system....lovely.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Good luck, Zach ... my tailgate hasn't sealed right since very shortly after I bought the car 11 years ago. Tried a better weatherstrip from a different car, and no improvement. I'm afraid the only thing for me to do is to piece together a brand-new weatherstrip.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Mine leaks a bit, and everything is good.

It might not now, since the guides were rebuilt.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

make sure the window goes all the way up. god way to check this is when the window is full up, grab ahold of it to see if you can pull it up more, if so, there are a number o things that might be wore out

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

See I was wondering if my window was going all the way up. It soaks the carpet in the rear when it rains or if I wash it, really annoying to sop that up the next day.

Comment

I'm honestly still kicking around absurd notions of ditching this 3-way tailgate altogether if I ever have far too much time and money on my hands .....

Comment

This is how mine seals up. For most of it it pushes itself right into the fat part of the weather stripping, but on one side it's just pressed up against it. It will leak one or two drops if I hit it with one of the high-pressure guns at the car wash directly at the seam, but it doesn't leak when it rains.

91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

Awesome that is what I needed! Thank you. Mine is like that except for the corners. I hope I can just make adjustments with the stripping and not have to find a new alternative.

Comment

No prob. IIRC, there are some tilt adjustments for the window if you pull the interior panel off of the tailgate, so that you can make the top of the window hit at the right place.

Your weatherstripping should be fine unless it's really fucked up. The one on mine is the original and even though it's cracked as hell, it's still holding together just fine.

Comment

Interesting comment .... I'll have to post pics of mine and see what you think of it. I don't know of any ways in which it could be adjusted to seal better, but I could well be wrong!

Comment

Those windows are a pain in the ass to make seal properly. Seems like they always hang out a little bit on the top right corner. I know I fiddled for a long time to get the thing to work on yucatec's car. I could make it seal perfectly, but then the window would bind up on the rubber. It ended up being a comprimise setting so that everything worked as expected and there was the least amount of gap possible.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X