Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.6 box swap...

Will it work?

as I was prepping my car to paint I found alot of frame discrepancies... and its looking like it would be easier to get a new car. The delemma: the 4.6 Engine in the Demon is basically flawless... the Tranny is roughly 5000 miles old and would make a wonderful transplant canidate.

I have since found 2 possible options:

1997 CV LX: blown engine and tranny... Excellent body and interior $500

the option im leaning toward:

1990 CVPI: no engine and tranny... sub-par body but emaculate interior $150.

opinions?
    2000 Grand Marquis LS: Back in the Panther Life Again.

It sounds like it would be an interesting project. If you can make it fit, go for it!
    1998 Crown Victoria P71: Former National Institiute of Health vehicle
    1974 VW Beetle

Comment

hell... thought the 4.6 would be smaller.

Comment

Last time I had the Mark VIII parked next to the POS while I scratched my head and held a tape measure, It looked like the heads on the 4V 4.6 were wanting to occupy the space that the UCAs were in. Your 4.6 is a 2V, right? Should be narrower. I bet it's still tight, though.

Comment

Go for the 97, it would be a pain in the ass, not to mention, if I had my druthers Id have a 302 over 4.6 anyday.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

It's the same frame so why wouldn't it work?

Comment

crossmember is different, not to mention, the 281 is a fat motherfucker compared to a 302. With enough money anything is doable, but itd still be a pain. Now a 302 in an aero is quite possible.

Comment

Look up 4.6 fox swaps if it can fit in a little mustang it will fit in a Panther. Shit i was thinking about using my 99 as a parts car for a 87 two door but the 87 was way to expensive for me so I'm just going to fix my 99
                YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

what's wrong with the frame?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'd have to do a side by side comparison, but I think my 82 is a little different than the 95s crossmember.

Comment

Can't be that hard, 460s can fit into these cars.

Comment

While I would love to see someone put a 4.6 in a box...I gotta say, you should get the '97. With that swap, you would just need to remove the '94's intake and exhaust manifolds, install the '97's, and use the sensors from the blown engine. The tranny may require a little more work, since the '97 has a 4r70w, while the '94 would have an aode, but I believe the 97's computer can control the AODE.

As for putting the 4.6 in a box...it should be possible. I believe the crossmember is the same, as there was a guy on CVN who dropped a 289 in his '92, using a bunch of box-body stuff (mounts, front accessories, etc). You would want to install the '94's upper control arms on the box (plus the other required components). Why? There was a guy on CVN who tried to put a box chassis under an aero, and was not able to get the 4.6 in there w/ the old-style suspension. Still, we are talking about a lot of work here, and we haven't even gotten to the part about the electronics. :drug:

And yes, sizewise, the 4.6 is a monster. This pic should give you a good idea of the size difference:

The 4.6 in the pic is a DOHC, which is slightly wider than the SOHC, and a couple inches taller. Still is a good illustration.

Kudos to you if you take on the project, but I'd be concerned that you would take a good car and a bad one, and make it into 2 broken cars in pieces.

Rob
                        1996 Police Interceptor-187K miles **Replacement DD found**
                        Engine/trans: '03 4.6, underdrives, shorties, 80mm MAF, Custom downpipes, Ported plenum, 70MM T/B, and Dyno Tune. J-modded Y2K 4r70w w/ Marauder TC.
                        Misc: ADDCO bars, Big brakes, 17" wheels, '02 steering box, and LXSport console w/ floor shift! :headbang:

Comment

wow... figured .4ltrs wouldnt be that big a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by MeanVic84 View Post
                            Can't be that hard, 460s can fit into these cars.
                            Go look at a Mod motor sometime. The 32 valve Cobra motors, anyway, are actually wider than a 460. And an '03-'04 blown Cobra motor weighs a bazillion pounds .........
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

well the 91 is out... the 97 is stiill around but i think i'll stick with the demon...

Comment

Working...
                              X