Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help with front hubs...

Need some help again.

This time my Marauder is kicking my ass with the front hubs being too far out. See, I'm blaming the Marauder because my fancy new rims stick out of the wheel wells and I have to put the blame somewhere.

I've read plenty of posts here on how some of you when with the bigger brakes on older panthers, well I want to go the other way to try to get these new rims to fit...

I have a new set of rims/tires with Billet Specialties Street Lites all the way around. Rears are 15x15's and the fronts are 15x3.5's. Backs are just fine, but the fronts, with the M/T skinnies and the spacers on the hub make them stick out about 1.5 inches. No way can I roll that way!

My problem was compounded by the fact that while the rims have the correct backspacing, I did not take into account that they do not have the space to clear the calipers, thus the hub spacer (about .5 inches) and that the tires are wider than the 3.5 inch rim by about 1 inch or so, which puts me about 1.5 inches farther out than I like or will consider acceptable.

So, I'm looking for a hardware solution before selling the fronts and finding something else. Doing a bit of searching I found a good document on the different rims and what fits what when dealing with panthers.

1) Will the front crossmember from a -97 panther bolt to an 03 Marauder frame giving me the needed space to make these tires fit? If not a 97, then an -02? I didn't find any specs to actual wheel spacing between hubs on the different years.

2) is there a different hub/rotor/caliper I could bolt to my front that would give me more room? Does anyone have pictures of the front hub/rotor/caliper setups from each different yeargroup for comparison?

3) Sell them and spend big $$ getting Billet Specialties to make a pair of custom rims.

Really, thanks in advance to everyone that can help!

John

Those'd look purty on my car
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

no
      only way you could do it is to swap over to a 02 frame.......the crossmembers on the 02 and earlier cars are not bolt on

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Probably several people here willing to trade frames, too...

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
          no
          only way you could do it is to swap over to a 02 frame.......the crossmembers on the 02 and earlier cars are not bolt on
          I can see the frame swap as a big potential for cascading failure. First I have to back-half the 02 frame, then make sure the 32V fits, then hope the headers still fit and so on... I would need to find an 02 panther and test-fit the rim to see where that would put me first.

Ok, so the front crossmember is welded in, but how much of the rest of the front a-arm system bolts on? Can I just get all the 02 pieces and mount them to my 03 frame after removing the existing upper and lower A-Arms? Is the 03 frame just wider in front making the A-Arm swap pointless?

I'm now thinking custom upper and lower A-Arms would be cheaper. But would they be less than custom rims?

Regardless, thanks for the suggestions so far.

John

Comment

Originally posted by TMF View Post
            I can see the frame swap as a big potential for cascading failure. First I have to back-half the 02 frame, then make sure the 32V fits, then hope the headers still fit and so on... I would need to find an 02 panther and test-fit the rim to see where that would put me first.

Ok, so the front crossmember is welded in, but how much of the rest of the front a-arm system bolts on? Can I just get all the 02 pieces and mount them to my 03 frame after removing the existing upper and lower A-Arms? Is the 03 frame just wider in front making the A-Arm swap pointless?

I'm now thinking custom upper and lower A-Arms would be cheaper. But would they be less than custom rims?

Regardless, thanks for the suggestions so far.

John
            seriously? you are talking about re building the entire front suspension, along with going back to brakes that are barely sufficient for a car that weighs a few hundred pounds less. just to run a set of wheels. you would have to cut some large sections out of your frame, since the spring mounts and control arm mounts are very different, and a donor frame. have them welded back in, you would have to build a crossmember.

just sell the wheels and get another set

*EDIT* what you could do, is contact Aerospace Components and have them make you a custom hub and brake set up that will bolt onto your spindle. http://www.aerospacecomponents.com/home.htm
            Last edited by DuceAnAHalf; 05-31-2008, 10:18 AM.
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

yeah... all that work to make a set of wheels fit? just get the right wheels.... :confused:
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I'll just trade you cars. It'll be easier.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

None of the 02- stuff bolts in. Control arm mounts are welded to the frame on the bottom, upper brackets are also welded to the frame. It also uses a steering box instead of your 03 rack and pinion, so the steering system is also totally different.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've decided to bite the bullet and sell the skinnies. I'm working on a brake caliper/rotor solution where the capilers do not extend past the mating surface and will have Billet Specialties make me a pair of custom rims. I only need another .5 inches from them too and it will all fit.

Thanks for listening everyone.

John

Comment

The rears look fine, though...

Comment

Working...
                      X