Expired Trans fluid ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expired Trans fluid ?

I had the all too popular MLPS failure at 145,xxx. I swapped the sensor and all 14 qts of trans fluid. Last May.

Fastforward to today.....

I leave work and drive the same way every day. When I get to Merriman rd my car wont go into 3rd... I can manually shift right into 2nd just fine. I kinda coast for 8 or so seconds and it will finally shift into third......Then thats it. Thats the only time i get problems.

The car sits from 8pm at night til 10am the next day.

When I leave work the past 3 days ( since this started) I have ZERO problems, Also after the first mishap I can drive to work just fine.

I was unbale to put "Great" trans fluid into the car..I used Castrol Mercon V. I FIRMLY believe in synthetics. Syn OIL,TRANS and REAR fluid for 5 years now.

OMG you really read all that.....Ok heres my sales pitch. When the car sits the longest and during the "coldest" part of the 24hr cycle is the ONLY time I get problems.

My trans fluid is nice and red and up to the level. I also recheck the MLSP and he's fine too.

So my theory is the trans fluid has to heat up and expand and then it shifts fine.

Any thoughts or ideas ?

OH I have 159,xxx now

isn't all mercon v semi-synthetic anyway?

Usually 2-3 shift problems are issues with the direct clutch. When it burns out, it won't shift beyond 2nd gear. Hopefully thats not whats giving up on yours, but with that mileage its entirely possible.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

But I only get it once a day...at the same point on my way to work ?

Although I fear your diagnosis, Why a mech issue with such a weird accurance.

Comment

could also be something sticking in the valve body, iunno. I'm no transmission guy. I've never had one open beyond regular servicing or changing the shift lever, I just know what I read and what people tell me. Usually when the DC dies, it just stops shifting beyond second gear. I dont know if they get funny when its beginning to go bad or not since I've never had this problem. I've driven some sloppy funky AODs, but they all shifted through the gears.

Either way, at 14k on the fluid, it might not hurt to just service the thing and see if there is anything in the pan. Might be that new fluid will fix the problem.
        Last edited by gadget73; 06-13-2008, 07:37 PM.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I desperately want to change all 14 qts. The problem being at this moment I have 3 nickels.

Wait one second...I understand....$60 bucks now or $1200 later..I know...I know....

Comment

Interesting twist....

Today when I had some errands to do, I started the car (its been sitting since 8pm last night) like always, I then shifted by hand the entire range of gears available to me at a stop.

ZERO problems ?

Comment

might be a sticky piston. did you ever replace the 1-2 accumulator? i dont know if that would cause this, but i know some of the transmissions had a bad design 1-2 that did some wierd stuff on the 1-2. there's an updated one from ford.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00185.html

Comment

Which can you service without dropping the Valve body ? I know 1-2 but 2-3 ?

I might just pull the springs ??

Comment

Working...
                X