92 Grand Marquis rough idle with a/c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 Grand Marquis rough idle with a/c

Hey, just recently i was driving it knowing that everything is up and running "perfectly" and i had the a/c running and while stopped at a red light the engine rough idles and stalled. What could be wrong?

Computer might not be raising the idle when the compressor kicks in. I think that has to do with the IAC. How's your car when it starts cold?

Comment

cold start is fine... no rough idle at all only after its been driven a while on a really hot day... (thermostat reads nothing higher than halfway usually below half of the gauge.) and we turn on the a/c and only stall when stopped at a light or something. Rough idle then stalls

Comment

Are you running a CAI? My old car did that everyonce and awhile
        R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
        Originally posted by MeanVic84
        Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

sorry about all these questions... does CAI stand for Cold Air Intake, and if so then I do not run a cold air intake...

Comment

When was the last time the engine was tuned up? Have you ever cleaned your MAF sensor? Is the vacuum line at the PCV connection cracked? Its a common spot for the line to deteriorate. PCV is on the passenger side valve cover.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Summer of last year i believe... I don't think we cleaned the MAF sensor... will check all this when I get home later... what would you recommend to use to clean the MAF sensor?

Comment

electrical contact cleaner that says it leaves no residue, or they do sell mass air sensor cleaner for the job.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This happened to me recently, and it turned out that the A/C compressor was almost shot, and was putting so much drag on the belt that it was pulling the belt to a stop and stalling the engine out. Take the car to an A/C shop and have the system checked. Make sure there is the right ratio of oil to refrigerant in the system. If you have a way of verifying that this is the problem, DON'T RUN THE A/C. You could do even more damage to the compressor (like I did) and have to replace the compressor and most of the system because the compressor completely froze up and shat metal shavings into the rest of the system.
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                  91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                  93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                  Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                  Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                  95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

91 waggin sounds like the problem... I've been playing around with that... turning the a/c on and off comparing the idle... and it seems to have a tendency to run rough and idle rough when the a/c is on... thanks will check it out this weekend

Comment

the IAC "intake Air Charge valve" famous for getting clogged up and the motor gets tired.

Cleaning is useless, replace with a new unit and clean the orifice in the intake.

Not bad advice to check out The AC before using it further and causing massive damage. R-12 is EXPENSIVE
                      2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                      2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Originally posted by Chevyguy View Post
                        the IAC "intake Air Charge valve" famous for getting clogged up and the motor gets tired.

Cleaning is useless, replace with a new unit and clean the orifice in the intake.

Not bad advice to check out The AC before using it further and causing massive damage. R-12 is EXPENSIVE
                        R-12 isn't that bad, and a R-134 upgrade isn't that bad either. BUT the compressor, receiver/drier, orifice tube, and the lines are hella expensive, plus labor if you don't do it yourself (I didn't because I don't have the know-how or equipment when it comes to a/c).

Also, IAC stands for Idle Air Control. And cleaning it does help.
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                        X