Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend upgrade on front speakers

Hello all!

I have an 85 CV LTD and I'm wanting to change out the front dash speakers but dont know where to start. Was wondering if anyone here has done that and had any ideas or tips that might help me dismantle that dash and install the new speakers and possibly a new cd player as well. I've been told that I might have to replace the entire wiring in the whole car but wasnt sure.

So if anyone that is sure, then please let me know. Thanks

To get to the front Dash speakers all you have to do is remove the dashpad, which consists of: 4 screws in the windshield vents, 6 screws under the front lip of the dashpad, and 1 screw on each side of the dashpad. I used 4in Rockford Fosgate speakers in my dash, the screw patten was different than what the factory speakers used, so I had to use a set of scosche Adapter plates, which the speakers are bolted to, and then the adapter plate is bolted to the dash.

Provided that you don't have premium sound, you can use the factory stereo wiring with an adapter harness, and just "plug n play" the entire thing. If you do have premium sound then you will need a special adapter to bypass the PS amp before it will work.

The factory stereo system is a common ground system, which will be fine up to 50W x 4, but if you are gonna be running more power than that, you should go ahead and eliminate the common ground system, and run separate grounds for everything, to avoid any potential disasters.

I used the all the stock wiring and just ran new grounds for everything. I'm running around 150W to the rear speakers, and it sounds great, no problems with the stock wiring so far. I'm happy with it, Although I'm sure it probibly would sound a little sharper with better quality wiring.

LTDMan83

Comment

Thx LTDMan83 the post is helpful I'll let you know how it turns out this weekend. Didn't quite get to it this weekend. I think the problem I'm going to run into is that the speakers I have are 6.25 I belive if so then I'm going to have to do the door speaker which I didn't like the look to much but if it's what I've got to do then it must be done.

Comment

Working...
      X