Couple problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple problems

First off, this AOD. I'm not sure if this is the AOD being an AOD or what, but every morning when I first put it in gear, the car goes nowhere and revs up and then slams into gear. Then after a stop, I go to hit the gas and it does the same exact thing. Finally after about 5 minutes of driving it stops doing it.
    To add on, while I'm cruisin and I slow down and then go to accelerate, the car goes nowhere when the pedal is pressed about halfway down. After I mash it almost to the floor though it finally downshifts. I have the TV cable adjusted to the MID setting btw.
    I looked for any TSBs from Ford for these problems and I couldnt find anything.

One more thing, I put on a set of rear cargo coils about a year ago. Ever since I put them on, theres a rattle coming from the back of the car every time I hit bumps- sounds like I'm smugglin 50 pounds of nuts and bolts in my trunk. I checked to make sure I put the rubber seats back on top of the springs and they're there for both sides. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    90 CV (R.I.P.)
    86 CV (R.I.P.)
    86 Mustang GT- on hold
    84 LTD LX: new project

Is the fluid level ok. Check with the trans hot in park...

Did you reinstall the rear spring isolators?
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
      Is the fluid level ok. Check with the trans hot in park...

Did you reinstall the rear spring isolators?
      Yup checked the fluid, its not low or anything and its nice and pink.

And I made sure I put the isolators back in at the top and then rechecked to make sure they were seated right, and the springs still rattle...
      90 CV (R.I.P.)
      86 CV (R.I.P.)
      86 Mustang GT- on hold

Comment

See if its the exhaust hitting the spring. You might have to move things around just a little bit.

When was the last time the trans was serviced? What you're describing sounds like low fluid or a clogged filter. It could also be the pump wearing out.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I thought that a car would do that if the torque converter was wearing out. Not true?
          Originally posted by gadget73
          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

change the fluid and the filter and set the tv pressure closer to max......if that dont cure it. the trans is toast

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              See if its the exhaust hitting the spring. You might have to move things around just a little bit.

When was the last time the trans was serviced? What you're describing sounds like low fluid or a clogged filter. It could also be the pump wearing out.
              I had my catback off for a while and the springs still rattled, so I guess that leaves the exhaust outta the question. I gotta put new shocks in, so when I do that I'm gonna take the springs out again and replace the isolators
              The lady that had it before me had the trans rebuilt. I dont know what the mileage was because I lost the paperwork, but it had to be before 65,000. I'm at about 96,000 now so maybe a trans service would be good.
              90 CV (R.I.P.)
              86 CV (R.I.P.)
              86 Mustang GT- on hold

Comment

See if its the bushings in the bottoms of the shocks then. If the washer on the nut for the lower shock mounting point is hitting the metal part of the shock, that could also make it rattle.

better hope the trans rebuild was actually good, if not it might be shot with 30k on it. There are a lot of horror stories of bad AOD rebuilds.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X