Modding Questions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modding Questions??

So I hate how slushy my 1998 G. Marquis transmission shifts. Also I would like a little more power. Few questions...
    I have heard good things about some of the computer chips. How well do these work? And can it change the trans shifting?
    Otherwise, what are the best mods to make the MGM trans shift better?
    P.S.- Just for knowledge's sake, What is the name of the trans? (like Turbo400, A4OD, C6, etc...)
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
    1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Get a Baumann shift kit. Even if you program it to shift higher, it'll still be sloppy without a good shift kit. E-mail them regarding what kit/pieces would best suit your driving.
    You should have a 4R70W, possibly a 4R75W but I think that was truck-only. The gearing is really good, but you'll want to get a good shift kit to crisp up the actual shifts.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

The transmission is a 4R70W, which is an evolution of the AOD. Same basic power flow as the aod, but different gear ratios and more electronicaly controlled.

I had 3.55's and a chip on my 97 vic. Gave me 150hp and 189 tq (everything else was stock) at the wheels. ONly problem was my trans was tired and would slip at WOT.

But before I did anything I would suggest that you #1, drain and refill your fluid as well as putting a new filter in the trans. #2, make sure that the trans isnt slipping, and that it's just the oem soggy old lady shifting.

Now, something you can do that makes the 4r70w shift great is the J-Mod.

Essentially you're modifying a valve body to shift more firmly. I've driving a Thunderbird with this mod done and it gave me a massive errection.

Some other things you can do:
      Power Improved heads and intake. With the bottem end you have and newer Power Improved heads you get a little bit more power than a stock PI engine because of the difference in the pistons on the older 2v lopo 4.6 giving it a higher compression ratio with the PI heads.

chips help. I mostly got mine to get rid of the top speed limiter when I changed gears (would only let me go 76 mph before I got it)

You're looking about 450-600 for the chip, depending on how you go.
      Gears, if you're lucky you can get em free from a buddy at a dealership possibly. although it's getting rarer that they have warranty gear sets from explorers. Depends on your shopping karma really.
      would also suggest going traclok when you get gears
      GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
      1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
      99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
      03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
      95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

I completely agree with everything Seneeb said.

Comment

Sneeb, it's not slipping. I'm not sure if "slushy" is the best word to describe it. You guys know how lazy and soft the mgm's trans are. I'll look into a shift kit. And I think I might change the fluid and filter.
          As for the chips, I know of the prices. But how worth it are they, how much extra pull do they give? And what are some of the other things they can do for the MGM/CV's.
          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
          1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Search Jmod and Search BOC ( Blue Oval Chips ).

Comment

Originally posted by DriverSideImpact98 View Post
              Sneeb, it's not slipping. I'm not sure if "slushy" is the best word to describe it. You guys know how lazy and soft the mgm's trans are. I'll look into a shift kit. And I think I might change the fluid and filter.
              As for the chips, I know of the prices. But how worth it are they, how much extra pull do they give? And what are some of the other things they can do for the MGM/CV's.
              ok, i wasnt sure based onthe first post. The chip i got was worth the cost just to get rid of the speed govenor from the factory computer after the gear swap
              GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
              1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
              99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
              03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
              95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Originally posted by 97cv View Post
                I completely agree with everything Seneeb said.
                +1

Comment

J-mod and programmer would do wonders for you. NO SHIFT KITS a shift kit will kill your transmission.
                  R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                  Originally posted by MeanVic84
                  Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

DO NOT USE THE "FIRMER SHIFT" OPTION on ANY OBD II programmer.

All you have done is increased the line pressure, A Jmod will allow more fluid to flow "Naturally?"

Comment

Working...
                    X