Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford Flex wagon, a comparison

Dear Panthers.
    I bought my 89 CP because nothing else on the market could transport 4 dogs, three people and a week's gear 12 hours to Canada in comfort, speed and 20-21 miles per gallon.

So I was interested in the new Ford Flex which is almost an old fashioned station wagon.

Looked up the stats. Gas mileage about the same. 3.5 engine - a little less oomph? Probably a better transmission. Similar GPS - rear TV instead of my backup sensor and subscription to sirius trvaellink (better than what I've got but $6 a month). Flex: miles better crash protection, similar crash avoidance. I kept my interest until I reached the cargo specs: Flex: 69 CU, CP: 160 CU. Oops,guess I'll just leave the dogs at home.
    Price: I've put about 24k into the CP in 8 years and 170k miles. The Flex would cost me 40k right off the lot.

Donald McCaigh

24K in 8 years??
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

yes 24k in 8 years........i have done alot of maintenance and upgrades to his wagon since 2006
      donald has a 89 colony park that is better than brandy new....mods including big brakes, rear discs, hpp steering, electric fan ,headers and dual exhaust, roller rockers, underdrive pulley, big swaybars, frame replacement and later repair......etc etc etc

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If you want an old car thats as reliable as a new one, it costs money to have that. With the miles he puts on his car, just driving it as a 20 year old beater wouldn't work for long, unless random breakdowns are what you consider fun and exciting. Still cheaper than a new car if you do the math though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sounds like a really great wagon
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Dear Panthers,
            I cannot break down. Three/ four dogs in the car and tight schedules. January 28 hours (one driver,pull over when tired) to West Texas, March 16 hours through Chicago rush to Wisconsin, today to upstate NY.Mass/Ct/Pa/home and next month 13 hours to Canada. I must have the reliability/fuel economy and get-on-it-acceleration of a new car.
            Thanks to Scott, Thaine and Pete V8, that's what happens. Without them I'd need to buy a new car. And there isn't one.

Donald

Comment

those flex's are nice I have done a few flexes pdi allready. we have only sold one so far at my dealer. still cheaper than a new car.

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                those flex's are nice I have done a few flexes pdi allready. we have only sold one so far at my dealer. still cheaper than a new car.
                It is on a lengthened wheelbase Taurus X platform. Is all the extra length in the snout or is the 2nd or 3rd row seat roomier? I tried to sit in the 3rd row of our '08 Exploder, and didn't fit enough to lock the 2nd row seat back in place.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                  It is on a lengthened wheelbase Taurus X platform. Is all the extra length in the snout or is the 2nd or 3rd row seat roomier? I tried to sit in the 3rd row of our '08 Exploder, and didn't fit enough to lock the 2nd row seat back in place.
                  greg the 2nd row has more room the third row it is a little cramped for me. It is kind of cool how the seats fold down.

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

I have trouble in the third row of a minivan. The only third row seating I've ever felt comfortable in was in my brother's Suburban, and later his Expedition.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

24k sounds about right. Good luck finding a $24k car and it lasting for 170,000 miles without you putting one dollar in it. It seems like a lot and it is, but it's also way cheaper than a new car, and in my opinion way more reliable. 180,000 miles I've put on my car and not one time have I been late to where I was going. At what point do you no longer consider you car manufactured but hand built? Almost everything on his car was installed by human hands not a machine. That speaks volumes in the auto industry for quality.

Comment

Working...
                      X