Broken Tailgate Options.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Tailgate Options.....

Well the ol' woody wagon is showing it's age with me lately, and just after I did up a pretty slick custom exhaust too . Anyhow, the tailgate has numerous issues that have all gotten real bad; it won't latch at all, the support cable broke, and the hinge pin openings are worn like a large egg.....

What are my options for getting it back to working condition...???

I would rather not spend a fortune fixing it but if that's the only option I might have to consider it......

Any input is much appreciated...!!!

~Justin

Dear Panthers,
    PITA What you need is a sun state tailgate from a little old lady who never opened the tg. Otherwise, it's finding (rare) weather-strip, a sound hinge (rare) and strikers. Pete V8 told me today that F150 strikers will work and that's the only good news I've got.

Donald

Comment

i hate my tail gate. i slam it shut at least 3 times and still pray that it doesn't open and the kids don't tumble out on to the highway. i wish the window rolled down too...
      '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Well I did some research and it doesn't seem like there going to be too many options. Most all parts are obsolete and if you find them used they are probably going to be junk in no time also.....

So, seeing is how I don't want to spend hardly any $$$ on it I will be going to Home Depot to see what I can some up.....:evil:

Comment

Originally posted by Da Woody View Post
          and if you find them used they are probably going to be junk in no time also.....
          Not necessarily. I've spotted some in my junkyard that were pretty nice. Almost thought about getting one, but mine isn't all that bad yet, only a very minor annoyance.
          1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
          1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
          1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Key word was probably, I know you can get lucky but vehicles of the `88 era aren't exactly too easy to find around here to begin with. If you do find one you can only hope it wasn't used half as hard as mine was for the last 5 years.....

Comment

i've never opened one of those gates on a wagon that didn't flop around like a dead fish, even on nice minty looking cars. Some still work nicely like that, others do not. That lower combo hinge thing sucks.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The gate cables were available from someone on eBay awhile ago. The parts stores around here can get them, Autozone, Advance for around $15.00. It was a pita to replace. It has to go between the hinge and body.
                sigpic
                Current Rides
                67 Cougar XR7
                97 Mountaineer 5.0
                03 Ranger XLT

Comment

mine is in great shape. It was never used, niether were the rear seats. Heck my tailgate was siezed-heck everyone at sf last year saw that. Should be abl
                  e to find some decent stuff in the JY and I'd also suggest mcmaster.com for stuff (hardware and such)
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

She's fixed, new thread.....http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...950#post368950

Comment

Working...
                    X