Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap/Easy TAIL GATE 'FIX'.....

Well I was able to come up with something that fixes my tailgate, here
    is the original thread explaining the issues.....

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?p=368405#post368405

So I went to Home Depot and found a heavy duty latch that damn near fits perfect. Now drilling the holes and attaching it was another story but in the end it works GREAT! Here's a couple pictures showing what was done, in total all of the parts were just under $24 and that was including the fancy MASTER Lock (made right here in Milwaukee :headbang.....

If there's any interest I can post up some more pictures and give a brief step by step.....

~Justin

Last edited by Da Woody; 07-15-2008, 10:03 PM.

:nonono:
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

that's and you're missing a screw.

Comment

from ya'lls reaction, thank goodness I can't see the picture. Since our server was upgraded a month back, I cannot see the imbedded pics, but the attached ones show up fine.
        1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
        1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
        1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
          from ya'lls reaction, thank goodness I can't see the picture. Since our server was upgraded a month back, I cannot see the imbedded pics, but the attached ones show up fine.
          http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...y/DSCN6449.jpg Here ya go! :p

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            Nope. That site is apperantly blocked too. Work is getting sooo unfun.
            1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
            1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
            1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

OMG, Please tell me that is a photoshop pic!
              sigpic
              Current Rides
              67 Cougar XR7
              97 Mountaineer 5.0
              03 Ranger XLT

Comment

Why would you do that? That wagon is so clean!

I hope all the hardware and latch is stainless, and you need to use some kind of seal under it or it's going to very rapidly start rusting where you drilled into the body.

I don't usually lay any hatin' down, but that is a red-neck jerry rig of a "solution" that should have been reserved for a vehicle in not such good shape.

Comment

WOW that not the reaction I was expecting, maybe I should have explained that this was NOT a restoration project what so ever and just something to get me by for the time being.....

I have been driving around with the tailgate 'strapped' shut for the last 6 months (wouldn't stay closed AT ALL!) and needed to do something that allowed me to use the gate again, and this method 'works'. If you're thinking that I drilled holes freely in a MINT (or even remotely clean) `88 Colony Park wagon tail gate you are sadly mistaken. I have been pondering sending it to the shredder for at least the last 3 months because it needs a LOT of TLC in MANY areas. Not to mention it has seen winter for the last 5 years and the body is really starting to show as it resembles Swiss cheese, so by the time the latch starts rusting out the body/frame will be all but gone.....

Flame-on all you want but I was in a pinch and didn't want to spend a ton of money or a lot of time finding GOOD useable parts to fix it. I didn't get many responses about repair options in the other thread but from the response in this one I'm thinking I should have showed these pictures before even asking about options.....

Last edited by Da Woody; 07-16-2008, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Interesting solution! I do know the pleasures of keeping a tailgate quasi-secured with a cargo strap from the inside (esp. on the old Squire, whose tailgate would often fly open while driving), including on a vehicle that doesn't look nearly as good up close as it does in pictures (see right side of sig pic :p) .... and it's definitely not unheard-of to see things like cargo vans with an auxiliary lock system like that ................. Hmmm........... :waiting:
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                      After four hinges and two gates - I have considered it. Donald McCaig

Comment

I still cling from time to time to my unrealistic plan to convert to liftgate-style operation

Comment

I'm not busting anyones balls about the work they do. If it works for him, it is not my place to comment on the aesthetics of it.

Is there a bolt/ screw missing? Also, what type of hardware did you use/ how it is anchored on the inside of the panel?

As for trouble with tailgates. We have an '81 Caprice Estate wagon, with 300K+ miles on it, and the tailgate still functions well. Drop down, and swing open. It could use some lube, and it sags, as is expected, but it still works. And we used it alot....
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                            As for trouble with tailgates. We have an '81 Caprice Estate wagon, with 300K+ miles on it, and the tailgate still functions well. Drop down, and swing open. It could use some lube, and it sags, as is expected, but it still works. And we used it alot....
                            Man, that's jst not fair!

Comment

^^^ Agreed.....

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                              Is there a bolt/ screw missing? Also, what type of hardware did you use/ how it is anchored on the inside of the panel?
                              One bolt was interfering with the latch inside the tail gate so I need to get a shorter one. I am probably going to take it all apart again because the length of a couple other bolts prevented me from tightening up the nuts all the way down and now it's a little loose.....

Comment

Working...
                              X